Author Topic: Wanted Marinade for uncooked chicken  (Read 9144 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted Marinade for uncooked chicken
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 07:24 AM »
I can never understand why anyone would want to marinade chicken or any other meat for that matter with ingredients and spices that would not be in the main dish and can possibly taint the final result.

Yoghurt, lemon and salt for brining are three examples. They alter the texture of the poultry or meat in different ways.

Tikka adds even more flavour to an accompanying sauce, in my opinion. Whether you like the difference, is down to personal choice, of course.

Sorry George, I didn't add tikka as I deemed this as common knowledge and a perfect marinade for all those dishes that are created using a Chicken or Lamb Tikka as along with Tandoori which uses yogurt and lemon. Some people add yogurt to their tikka because as you say it is personal taste.

Offline balloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Thanks all again in your debt.

Offline balloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 02:48 AM »

The way I marinade chicken or beef or lamb is a simple mixture of G&G, Spice Mix and a decent curry powder. Mix with oil and a little water and marinade your meat for at least 2-4 hours prior to either cooking or sealing in a pan before cooking through in the final dish.

I did the chicken your way and added garam masala (by mistake) it was really good thanks

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 01:51 AM »
I tend to always use Blades recipe.

600g Chicken  - 4 or 5 breasts
2 hpd tbl Pataks tandoori curry paste (the KEY ingredient as it includes lots of tamarind)
1 tsp mint sauce
1 hpd tsp garlic paste / granules
1 tsp ginger paste / powder
2 tbl lemon juice (Jiff is ok)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 dsp spice mixture (equal parts ground coriander, turmeric, garamasala, curry powder). I use this same mix for my curries.
1 lvl tbl methi
1 lvl tsp salt
2 tbl veg oil
2 tbl water

Cut chicken breasts into desired sized chunks and cover with marinade and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Next; after marinating, pre heat oven to highest heat and  skewer the chicken onto skewers or place on a baking tray at the top of the a pre-heated oven. 
turn down to 180 and cook for about 25 minutes, making sure the chicken is cooked thoroughly (break the biggest bit in half to see if it is white all the way through.)

Yep Blade's tikka is the don!  ;D

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 01:59 AM »
PS I always leave salt out of marinades nowadays. I personally find it can draw too much moisture out of meat and make it all dry and chewy. Particularly in 'long term' marinades ie `12-24 hrs etc. Hope this helps and again I would definately consider using Blade's tikka as Geezah says. It's awesome! Grilling it on a skewer works well too.

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 04:14 PM »

I don't marinade but I pre-part-cook in oil, stock, Kashmiri masala and turmeric.
** Phil.

Hi, Phil. Hi, everybody.

Phil, I'd like to give this a go. I usually have Kashmiri masala left over when I've finished the other jars of pastes, as I use relatively little of it. I'd like to ring the changes from chicken tikka in my curries for a while and I've been through lots of other pre-cooked methods before. Have you already shared your method and ratios for this in another thread? I can't seem to find it, unless it was part of a bigger recipe that I've overlooked. I usually wing things these days but it would help in this instance.  :)

Ian
--

(Edit) Ah - found it: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,12535.msg101714.html#msg101714  :)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:31 PM by Ian S. »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 05:02 PM »
OK, I look forward to hearing how you got on.  For my last batch, lacking any home-made jellified chicken stock on this occasion, I used a Knorr chicken stockpot instead.  It seemed to work fine.

** Phil.

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 05:23 PM »
Thanks Phil. I don't usually have the real deal to hand when it comes to stock, so the stock pot was going to be my next port of call, and it's good to know it works. However - I don't have any stockpots in either, so I was just sitting here deciding what to do with an Oxo chicken stock cube ... I'm probably beyond the realms of reasonable substitution here, in terms of reporting back on your recipe!

I will get some stockpots in for Christmas anyway, and try it again properly, but for tonight I was thinking of a stock cube in 1/2 the recommended amount of water for the quantities given, for a similar concentrated flavour, and then using 2 tablespoons of that instead with an extra tablespoon of oil to make up for the jelly. What do you think? What would you do if you were improvising with this?  :)

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 07:44 PM »
If you don't make your own chicken stock keep a tin of Knorr chicken powder in the spice cupboard

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Thanks, Geezah. I'll look out for that. I much prefer Knorr to Oxo. :)

©2024 Curry Recipes