Author Topic: getting back into the swing  (Read 5567 times)

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
getting back into the swing
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:34 PM »
For the first time in ages managed to spend a good few hours in the kitchen took some pictures sorry about the steam I'm no david bailey

Getting prep done tikka service onions and peppers pre cooked onions and peppers and lots of garlic

Chicken tikka bhuna

NIS

Jamie

Offline ottis

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: getting back into the swing
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Looks amazing..you don't happen to have the recipe for the base sauce you are using..I'm new to the site..well about 6 months now..I've already tried the one that's called the melting base which i thought was really bland in taste and very watery..yours looks really thick the way i like it....I tried reducing the melting base BUT STILL WASN'T RIGHT..If you want to keep the secret to yourself then i'm fine with that..Thanks ..ottis..and the beat goes on

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 05:54 PM »
Hi Ottis its chewy's 3 hour base recipe

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Those curries look fantastic, Jamie! I could tuck in some of that chuck right now! :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:10 PM »
 :P :P :P You may not have been in the kitchen for a while Jamie, but if those pics are anything to go by, you certainly haven't lost your touch.  I trust they were up to standard taste wise ?  ;D

Otis, CT's base is good and very versatile.  But like most other bases it should be the consistancy of thinnish soup but not as thin a water.  Check out his video where he shows you the ideal thickness. The thickness of the curry is achieved by adding the base and reducing it.  This is what concentrates the flavour of the combined spice and gravy where they kind of fuse together.  This reduction is normally done by adding half the gravy amount and reducing heavily until the oil separates then repeating the process again until the desired dish thickness is reached.  Some people even do three reductions or go to the extent of only adding a couple of chef spoons of gravy at a time and reducing after each addition.  As i say, this is the most common practice and will be seen in most videos here and on you tube for BIR / TA cooking.
Another option is the Glasgow one pot curry base which has attracted some good comments from our Northern friends in that region.  Let us know how you get on.

Offline ottis

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 12:27 AM »
Thanks for your help curryhell..loads of useful tips on getting the base right I've taken everything you've said on board.. everyone else seems to be getting it right, and with some amazing results..Think its just a case of back to the drawing board..I want to try and eventually equal you guys..I googled the Glasgow base you mentioned and this Indian chef was making it..looks simple enough...anyway it might not be what i'm looking for...I need to draw the line somewhere and stick with one and try and get that right first  oh and sorry i forgot there's chewys aswell..see ! there's more....spoilt for choice here lol..haven't a clue when i will be cooking next but hopefully soon..once again thanks for your help....ottis...and the beat goes on

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 07:23 AM »
Hi CH
The NIS was bang on as usual still one of my all time best dishes.

Ottis like CH said its more about getting the technique right than the base you use one thing I would say is that just because some recipes asks for 300ml of base I only use what I need if you like a thick sauce add a little less at times depending on the dish being cooked if a dish like the north indian special has extra pre cooked onions peppers and some tomato in it I find this bolsters the overall content of the dish so I only add about 200ml and you still get a full take away portion.

Jamie

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 08:53 AM »
Your tikka looks delicious, Jamie. Can you say which recipe you use?

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 09:09 AM »
Hi Naga its blades recipe with a splash of milk added instead of water

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 09:15 AM »
Thanks, Jamie - it all looks terrific! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes