Author Topic: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe  (Read 255486 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe
« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2014, 08:34 AM »
These have probably now cemented your name in diy BIR history along with Blades Tikka and Chewy's Madras etc etc.

I agree. Your naan, and the others, look better than a real BIR naan I had in a restaurant a few days ago. They probably taste better, too.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2014, 10:09 AM »
I have to confess to using a mixer  :(

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 18, 2014, 10:20 AM »
I have to confess to using a mixer  :(
It's alright though Garp, cos it's in the recipe  ::) I didn't but it really does not take much mixing so all good  :D

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 18, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Ok this thread has REALLY caught my attention now!!  So many pictures of restaurant quality naan breads.To be honest the method I use was posted on the forum a few years ago(Pacman Pete's).It was(allegedly) a genuine restaurant recipe and I have to say it's remarkably similar to Chris's one,both in terms of ingredients and especially the importance of the resting overnight and again when the dough balls are rolled out.Think I'll have to roll out my tandoori oven and give Chris's recipe a go.Definitely no salt in the mixture though?

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 18, 2014, 10:37 AM »
I haven't used any. I also note that Chris addresses this in the comments on his You Tube channel. The answer being that self-raising flour contains salt.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:47 AM by Garp »

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 18, 2014, 11:07 AM »
I would not doubt that Chris's recipe is similar to others but that it's accompanied by a good video and they're on a tawa  clinches it for me.

@ CH have you tried them out the freezer yet?

NB -  and looking 2 topics below on this board,  CBM's naans without a tandoor are virtually identical but without the video.  :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:27 AM by Gav Iscon »

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 18, 2014, 01:00 PM »
Hi Gav
Good stove top naan and that's a great looking supper. ;D

Nice to see somebody else giving CBM (Mick Crawford) a mention on this.
Same recipe and method and he did do a curry shed video showing the very same.

curry on ;)
cheers Chewy

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2014, 01:08 PM »
@ CH have you tried them out the freezer yet?

Not yet Gav.  I launched the dough i got out earlier at the  beginning of  the week.  It was not a very appealing colour when i looked at it yesterday morning so i didn't want to risk getting a dodgy result and filing a possibly inconclusive report.  However, fresh dough is out of the freezer defrosting and warming up for tonight so i should be able to give my opinion on the impact of freezing, if there is any.  Just need to make up my naan cushion for later  ;D

NB -  and looking 2 topics below on this board,  CBM's naans without a tandoor are virtually identical but without the video.  :)
I did try this recipe but the results were far from the success of the other weekend.  It was probably down to my skills rather than any fault of Mick's recipe. 
Maybe psychological but when you first try a recipe and get the desired result, all's great with the world and you tend to stick with it going forward as i now will with the H4ppynaan  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Not to put down Chris's take on this but it's hardly a new idea. I have a naan recipe from a book by a chap called Thomas Neill from 1997 that is virtually identical in all respects.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2014, 04:27 PM »
IM afraid that won't get you into the naan gang SS  :-*

©2024 Curry Recipes