Author Topic: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe  (Read 256035 times)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe
« Reply #260 on: February 15, 2014, 11:37 AM »
made these Nans yesterday, total failure lol, had that biscuity taste and not soft atall, don't know where I went wrong but followed the recipe. anyone able to put a step by step guide on here please?

cheers

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 15, 2014, 11:57 AM »
Here are the notes I took for my own reference after watching the video :)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:15 AM by Garp »

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 15, 2014, 01:07 PM »
Hi Gang
It's Raw Keema in Naan (BIR) Sheek Kebab Mix.

An interesting experiment Gav, to whether the raw kebab meat will be cooked enough using the stove top method,
never tried this myself, because of my doubts.

A bit like doing Garlic Naan,
I use a fresh garlic+oil paste, because sometimes using chopped Garlic on the Naan, it burns and is uncooked at the same time. Not the best. ???

Good luck with it Gav :)
cheers Chewy

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 15, 2014, 01:16 PM »

An interesting experiment Gav, to whether the raw kebab meat will be cooked enough using the stove top method,
never tried this myself, because of my doubts.

I've got some pre-cook on the go and also a bit raw mix made up to try. Dogs are waiting patiently  :)

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 15, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Right, bear with me here. Keema Naan number 1. This was made using raw seekh kebab meat. I rolled out a dough ball to about 10" then spread some kebab mixture thinly on it using the back of a dessert spoon to about 1cm from the edges.. I then pinched up the edges together to make a ball, flipped it over and then rolled out. I wasn't using much pressure on the rolling pin but some still managed to burst out the side. I then oiled it and transferred it to the cushion and then proceeded to drag it out as much as I dared. Tawa was on wok burner full heat and naan was slapped on. I left it a bit longer on the bottom as I was more concerned with getting the meat cooked. Then I flipped it over and gave it a good going over with the aim off making sure the meat was cooked. Steam was coming out the side of the naan and some of the fat was dripping onto the flame and flaring. Once done I spread the top with Aldi's best butter - Norpack. So here's the results of Naan 1, apologies for the blurry photo's.

The naan was a bit burnt on the bottom but still edible
The meat was cooked - just, tasted fine but looked anemic.
The meat somehow ended up around the sides and also just under the surface of the naan.
The bread was quite thick below the meat
The naan didn't bubble like the plain ones do
Missus thought it was really nice so that's a bonus

I basically pulled it apart for the photos as this is just an experiment and the dogs will be eating most of them.

Naan 2 to follow

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 15, 2014, 07:47 PM »
As we say in Scotland - Gaun yersel' Gav.

Meat does look a little 'rare' :)  But you're walking an unbeaten path here mate, and I can't wait for number two, which I assume will be pre-cooked keema?

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 15, 2014, 08:35 PM »

Meat does look a little 'rare' :)  But you're walking an unbeaten path here mate, and I can't wait for number two, which I assume will be pre-cooked keema?

The meat looked slightly better in real life as my flash on my phone was operating and washing the photos out slightly. I also didn't put much red colouring into the mix.

Anyway Naan 2, more seekh mix but this time I made a thumb pocket in the dough ball and put quite a bit in then pulled the outside of the ball up to seal the mix in the centre. I then proceeded to roll it out. This one rolled out a lot better and I put the tawa on the smaller ring. I did'nt butter it this time. Results are

I should have prodded the naan with a fork or knuckled the top before oiling as the top became one big air bubble.
Distribution was much better and the meat was throughout the naan.
Meat again was cooked but again I gave it a lot longer than a plain one.
The bottom had some black bits on but nothing like the last one and perfectly acceptable in my opinion.
I managed to roll this one out better and it stretched better on the cushion, don't know why though.

I tweaked the last photo in Photoshop to give you a better idea on the colour.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:28 AM by Gav Iscon »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 15, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Never having made one, or eaten one, it's hard to comment mate. Looks ok though :)

Did you try this one or are the dogs thinking Christmas has come again?

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2014, 09:18 PM »
I'm trying them all but as I have Uncle Bucks Chicken Pathia to make for tonight I'm not eating to much of them. Dogs think its St Battersea Dogs day. Anyway Naan 3. Same as 2 but I pushed the dough down with my fingertips to seal it better and gave it a run over with the fork. Results

Didn't puff up like Naan 2
Some fat out the mix caused a bit of the base to stick to the tawa.
Meat cooked and washed out photos make it look worse than it was

All the naans tasted good.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:55 PM by Gav Iscon »

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 15, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Naan 4 using the precook. For speed and getting a quick recipe I used Titli's Kitchen Keema Naan for the lamb mince. I initially bought 600gms and split it into 2 lots. The mince was a tad fatty so to get rid of some I rinsed it with some boiling water in a sieve after cooking.  :-\ Photo of the mix (Dips) and the precooked is in next posting.

I used the pocket (scotch egg) method for putting the keema in as this for me is by far the best method. It rolled out well and but when cooked it didn't bubble at all. It came out just like some of the keema nans I've had before (I'm sure the Kashmir in Bradford are like this if memory serves me well but don't quote me) and I thought it was the best of the night. I've got some seekh mix left so I'm going to dry fry it tomorrow and then try a naan with it to see what it comes out like. The fillings are in the next post as it only allows 4 images. I also had another sticking due to some fat out the mince soaking into the dough which you can see the result on the base.

Oh and I just got it on the tawa.  :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:30 AM by Gav Iscon »

©2024 Curry Recipes