Author Topic: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe  (Read 253848 times)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe
« Reply #270 on: February 15, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Just so you know, the pre-cooked mince is actually brown and the rinsing is something I've never ever done.  :-\ Next time. I'll not use any oil and dry fry it.

And hindsight as they say is a wonderful thing. I probably would have benefited by cleaning the greasy finger print from my phones camera lens. Honestly I'm as bright as a tramps boot sometimes.  ::)  :o

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 15, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Loving it, Gav. Thanks for sharing your Keema Naan exploits.

I'm thinking I like the last one. Pre-cooked is the way to go for me. It's all about making BIR-style food - but you don't have to do it the way they do (after all they don't make Naans on a tawa). So if you can achieve the same results in a slightly different way, then all is good.

As I said earlier, I have never had one, but that last one is something I would be happy to be served :)

Great stuff mate - Blue Tawa Badge on it's way to you :)

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 15, 2014, 09:52 PM »
I've definitely had similar styled naans to the last one I did in a few TA/restaurants and recently as well. Can't wait to try the seekh kebab mix cooked off in one.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 15, 2014, 09:56 PM »
Look forward to that, mate. Go and have your Pathia now :)

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 15, 2014, 11:54 PM »
Hi Gav
Came in after a wet day of it, checked your progress Gav and had to have a go. (inspired)

A kilo of enhanced dough in the fridge, defrosted some keema mix and ready to roll.

Dropped the Tava on end, cut through the flooring and concrete, just missing my toes, very lucky indeed
as A&E is a nightmare on Saturdays. (Note to self, careful with that Hot Tava)

Anyhoo back on the job, thought I'd do a plain Naan to check this new eggy, yoghurt dough.
Turned out good, yoghurt gives it a more savoury Naan taste.

OK, now for the Keema Naan, method is the same for any stuffed Naan, bit like making a Scotch Egg.
But once you've pulled up and sealed, flip it and start stretching and rolling the exact opposite side,
this will spread out the filling into a layer at the top of your crust, the more you roll it, the thinner the Naan crust will get,
until you will start seeing the keema showing through the thin layer of dough.
This is why the dough doesn't behave like plain Naan.

Anyhoo did all this, and left the Naan quite thick, which resulted in making a "Stottie" which is a
regional delicacy, a good seller at Greggs of Gosforth. ;D ;D

Keema was cooked (4mins) tasted OK and very much BIR, not as good as if it had been kebab-ed on flame
but it never does in a Naan.
But a good wafer thin layer of meat.

Bite  ;D way forward, but will do much thinner Stotties in future.
Thanks for the Inspiration Gav ;) Nice One.
cheers Chewy

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 16, 2014, 12:08 AM »
Got to say the mince in the first 3 looks more like the keema naans I'm used to, only would be redder in colour (which may make it look less anemic).

From that I'd say it would be done with the raw kebab mince, so you get that thin joined together layer between the naan, as opposed to lots of separate bits of cooked mince.

Great work Gav.

Martin

Edit Chewy's filling looks spot on (not the naan though  ;))

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 16, 2014, 12:21 AM »
Looking good as per usual Chewy. Your red-der meat does look better than mine along with your photo's. I was just more interested in proving if raw mix could be done on a tawa and it can. As you say the best way is to put it in a like a scotch egg and pull the sides ' up and over' pinching to seal then flip and roll out. not too rough though and you can get them quite thin. The last one I did was similar to a couple of places I visited in Yorkshire whilst working (for free  >:() before xmas. I quite like my naans like this and i also like non coloured keema in them. I did intend to put yoghurt in this time but failed miserably. Next time its definitely in. I didn't think the raw keema would work and like you had some serious doubts. Made Uncle Bucks Pathia tonight which although the missus said was tomato-y she did enjoy. Hallalujah another one for the list. I enjoyed it but to be honest I've never ever had a pathia so I didn't have a clue what I was measuring it against. Soup maker base was good though. Definitely a winner along with the butternut squash soup I made in it the other day. More naans tomorrow after frying of the rest of my mix. Purely experimental i may add.  ;D

And Tawa Toe, that would hurt. Glad you missed. Floors repair easier than feet. :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:33 AM by Gav Iscon »

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 16, 2014, 12:26 AM »
Got to say the mince in the first 3 looks more like the keema naans I'm used to, only would be redder in colour (which may make it look less anemic).

Cheers Martin. I wasn't going to put any red in at all as I just wanted to see if they could be done but eventually just put a tap in out the red food colouring tub. A bigger tap on the tub base would have been better but you could pick out the pieces of meat and swing them about like a bit of kebab meat so it was definitely done. Chewy's meat does look the business though and a stottie naan, now there's an idea.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 16, 2014, 12:09 PM »
Excellent stuff from Gav & Chewy, the Ant and Dec of homemade Naans.

Saturday Night Takeaway will never be the same ;D

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Right Naan number 5 and its the last. Dry fried what was left of my seekh mix this morning (added a bit more red for aesthetics) and left it to cool. Made naan for dinner and cooked it. Once I flipped it I realised I'd missed out the really important part of hitting the naan all over whilst on the bench with the ends of your fingers or knuckles to stick the top layer of the naan back down onto the bottom layer. I'd forked it to let out the air but it still expanded into a large single bubble once inverted over the flame. Anyway once done and brushed with Aldi's Norpack it was really good and even the missus liked it which is high praise indeed. Obviously the precook is a bit better as you don't have to worry about the meat cooking but both ways come out good and I will be doing them again for special occasions. The raw type need a bit more care in cooking. For each naan it probably worked out at about 60gms of filling.

I can't stress enough the importance of fingering /knuckling the naan all over before you put it on the cushion to stop the big bubble forming when cooking. Anyway here's the photos, Happy Naan-ning

Update. -  Had a message of Chris who told me that when you've pushed down with your fingers just leave the naan for 3-4 mins to allow it to 'glue' together. Also if your mince is a bit fatty, put a bit gram flour to the mix. Cheers Chris.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:57 PM by Gav Iscon »

©2024 Curry Recipes