Author Topic: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe  (Read 255364 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe
« Reply #340 on: April 04, 2014, 06:18 PM »
Best to make the naans complete, then freeze. They defrost on a warm plate in ten mins and if you need them warm just grill for thirty  secs

No offence NJ, but I have to say that I prefer them freshly made, even from pre-frozen dough, rather than cooked ones re-heated. Just my preference :)

I have frozen the dough after the oiling stage and it works out good. The thawed dough will come out stickier and need a little work before balling. I've never made the balls then froze them (thought it would take up too much room in my already full freezer).

Just my thoughts :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 04, 2014, 07:51 PM »
As its a bit of Faff.
I usually make enough for six good Naans.

Prove the oiled dough in a plastic bag for a few hours, or overnight.
Divide into six balls, cook two and freeze the other four balls.

Very handy to defrost and make from the freezer, when needed. ;)
Don

Offline bluebalti

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 04, 2014, 08:54 PM »
I've made enough for 10 naan, so I'll probably freeze half the dough (post oil) make 5 naan and then freeze one of them just to see what it's like defrosted.

Thanks very much gents, I found (by chance) that a small cheap fry pan is spot on (sticky) for this method whereas our 'good' non stick fry pan, well, it's non stick.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 05, 2014, 06:18 PM »
one from sunday...
That looks awesome! If you don't mind me asking Mick. what sort of 'dough' ;D would I be looking to fork out for a tandoor like that?

Hey MM sorry for the delay in replying. Got it from spices of india 2 or 3 years ago and it was 285 quid. Ive had hours of fun with it. Well worth the investment imo

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Tandoor-Oven.html#SID=3607

@JB How are you getting on with the charcoal?

Regards

Mick

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 06, 2014, 08:32 AM »
one from sunday...
That looks awesome! If you don't mind me asking Mick. what sort of 'dough' ;D would I be looking to fork out for a tandoor like that?

Hey MM sorry for the delay in replying. Got it from spices of india 2 or 3 years ago and it was 285 quid. Ive had hours of fun with it. Well worth the investment imo

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Tandoor-Oven.html#SID=3607

@JB How are you getting on with the charcoal?

Regards

Mick

Haven't tried it yet,I'll let you know how I get on though when I do....

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 06, 2014, 03:27 PM »
Third attempt at this recipe today bput with half-reduced sugar, I had an aborted second go adding yoghurt and salt and it made the dough too wet and unworkable  :(

Hopefully if the weather holds I'll get my tandoor fired up over the next day or two.

I thought I'd revisit previous recipes I'd printed and noticed the method is similar to this one, didn't twig at the time, so definately something in that long resting period:

http://woodstone-corp.com/pdf/recipes/naan_bread.pdf

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 06, 2014, 09:29 PM »
H4ppy to report that it works just as well in the tandoor...

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 28, 2014, 11:27 AM »
I have great results from this recipe! I wondered the other day whether you could omit the sugar and try some pizza topping, tomato sauce (dryish) and grated mozerella (as it drier than the balls),  and finish under a grill? Is this a daft idea??

Ed

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 28, 2014, 04:30 PM »
Go for it Ed
Sounds ok
Just to let people know the last time I made these I had a batch left over and froze with out balling up
Yesterday it was defrosted and when cooking time came I simply took a handful rolled and cooked
I didn't rest the balls just cooked straight away and they were fine

Offline Korma Chameleon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 04, 2014, 10:54 PM »
Really really pleased with these, particularly as it was my last major nut to crack. The texture is just like takeaway naans and the flavour is right up there. On many pictures they look bread like, but they are not at all, they are naan like  8).

Didn't suffer from using baking powder at all, and I used a total of 11 teaspoons as I had to make up my own self raising flour!

Don't be put off by the supposed needed equipment. I used an old non-stick pan that has long lost its non-stick, and an electric hob. Turned out perfect, so much so I can't imagine them any better.

©2024 Curry Recipes