Author Topic: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe  (Read 253653 times)

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe
« Reply #420 on: September 20, 2014, 07:02 AM »
How fresh was the baking powder you used when following Chris's naan recipe livo?  I've found my results much improved when I bought a fresh pot of baking powder from Waitrose to replace that which had been in my cupboard a year or so. By improved I mean lighter, fluffier naans with more rise to them and a softer texture once cooked.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 20, 2014, 07:38 AM »
It wasn't too old at all. I'll try some new stuff.  My naan is rising and puffing up into bubbles but it just isn't soft and there is a flavour difference.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 20, 2014, 10:19 PM »
It wasn't too old at all. I'll try some new stuff.  My naan is rising and puffing up into bubbles but it just isn't soft and there is a flavour difference.

sounds like it might need more kneading livo

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 20, 2014, 11:06 PM »
Chris's recipe needs minimum kneading. I think it may be more down to the cooking in a pizza doofer.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 21, 2014, 12:34 AM »
Chris's recipe needs minimum kneading. I think it may be more down to the cooking in a pizza doofer.

Exactly Garp. My thought was that I may have over kneaded it, producing too much gluten and making the bread tougher than it should be.  I watched an Indian girl make naan and she was so gentle with mixing that I'm surprised it formed any gluten at all.

The thing is that my naan does not have the flavour of shop bought naan.  My naan is nice to eat and the second batch is better in texture but it tastes like a cooked pizza base, ie white flour bread.  I read that some are flavoured with "Rose Water" or "Khus (vetiver)".  I wonder if that is it.

Of course it may just be the flour.  Whenever I've asked anybody I am just told "Oh no. Just ordinary flour". Interestingly I just found this on a flour mill site.

Atta Flour : Produced through a combination of different streams of flour in the mill to deliver a product suitable for use in naan bread manufacture. 
Atta Flour 12%:   A darker, fine grade flour with high fibre that is obtained from high protein wheat used in unleavened Indian foods.

I also just read the thread by SP here that says the BIR restaurant he visited used "Elephant SR Atta flour" here, http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,13151.msg108010.html#msg108010

There is no doubt that Atta flour, being whole grain flour will have more flavour.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:09 AM by livo »

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 21, 2014, 01:04 AM »
So do you think bread making is hit and miss or a pure fluke, with regards to kneading?, when is it over or under kneaded?
Regards
ELW

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 21, 2014, 01:56 AM »
So do you think bread making is hit and miss or a pure fluke, with regards to kneading?, when is it over or under kneaded?
Regards
ELW
No definitely not.  Under kneaded will not have any (or insufficient) gluten network to trap gasses and cause rise upon heat or fermentation.  Over kneading, particularly with strong flour, will generate too much gluten for the purpose and create a rubbery elastic dough that is too difficult to work with plus the end result will be chewy.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 21, 2014, 03:02 AM »

No definitely not.  Under kneaded will not have any (or insufficient) gluten network to trap gasses and cause rise upon heat or fermentation.  Over kneading, particularly with strong flour, will generate too much gluten for the purpose and create a rubbery elastic dough that is too difficult to work with plus the end result will be chewy.

Good post livo   8)

regards
ELW

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 23, 2014, 11:56 PM »
Well the Atta flour does not provide the missing flavour.  I guess it could be just the heat / flame of the tandoor but I'm not convinced there isn't something I don't yet know. 

On  some other points in general Naan discussion, I find lots of conflicting / varied ideas. 

The leavening agent.  An Indian chef I've recently watched has said that either Yeast or Baking Powder is acceptable but the results will simply be different.  Some say that using one or the other is "not a proper Naan".  I've used both and haven't yet decided which I prefer.

Egg or not.  A simple choice between Vegetarian / vegan or not.

Water, milk or yogurt.  Depends on what you want in your bread.  Again all acceptable to use depending on your dietary / taste preferences.

The last thing I'll raise here is the consistency of the dough.  Cheerful Chris' videos call for long rest times to soften the dough, which it does, but the Indian chef I refer to above had his dough so wet that it was on the verge of being unmanageable and also note that due to the slackness of the dough it is hardly kneaded at all.  Check out VahRehVah.com .

Offline macferret

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 24, 2014, 07:45 AM »
I hesitate to pile in with yet more advice on this epic thread. but here goes.....

- we use both yeast and baking powder. The yeast is not so much for aeration - it does something to the texture
- allow about 1 level tbsp sugar and 1 tsp baking powder per naan - it should be a very sweet dough
- add oil to the dough. About 1 tsp per naan.
- never work with a dry dough; it should be almost too wet to handle
- 3 hours before cooking, split the dough into balls about the size of a snooker ball. Rub the balls of dough in oil, put them on an oiled tray, cover with a towel and leave to prove for a couple of hours in a really warm place. This is essential.
- when ready to cook, pin them out quite thin. A thick naan won't work.

If you don't have a tandoor, use the technique described elsewhere on this forum of sticking them to a tawa over a high flame, waiting for the to bubble up, and then turning the whole thing upside down over the flame.  Don't be afraid of blackening the naan in places - this is a sign that it has reached the required temperature.

Cheers,

Tim

©2024 Curry Recipes