Author Topic: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe  (Read 255460 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe
« Reply #480 on: March 25, 2015, 09:42 PM »
@garp
I only make 1/2kg flour batches and I find that that gives me four good sized naans...perfect, at least at the thickness I'd been rolling them, to fit a normal sized frying pan but...

@lc
thickness, hmmm yes, I do make them very thin so the next batch I'll make thicker and see what occurs.

@livo
the odd part of Chris's method is that he adds the baking powder to the liquid and then lets it rest for 20 mins or so. I understand the chemistry of the raising agents pretty well and by adding the baking powder to the liquid about 80% of the raising effectiveness of the powder is lost. There will still be some action (CO2 production) solely due to heating in the final product but the way to use baking powder is to add it to the flour so that the full raising effect is achieved once the liquid is added. So we'll see.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 26, 2015, 12:27 PM »
@lc
thickness, hmmm yes, I do make them very thin so the next batch I'll make thicker and see what occurs.
Maybe this is your problem.  From everything else i've read you seem to be doing no different from what Garp, MT and I did when we first made them.  Absolute minimal mixing, just enough to get the ingredients to form a dough.  Long resting essential.  Maybe a slight increase in size but not that noticeable.  Finished ball before rolling out for cooking reminded me of marshmallow  :)
I'm guessing i rolled mine out to a thickness of about 5mm to 6mm.  Did the fold test as soon as the first one was prised of the tawa.  No problems and no breaking.  Too thin and the heat will dry it out.  Too thick and it'll be stodgy and possibly not completely cooked.  Find your ideal thickness and i think you'll be on to a winner SS  :)  Good luck with the project and do share the pictures when the moment arrives  ;D
Flour here was homepride and the baking powder, not sure but let's just say it was well aged  ::)

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 26, 2015, 04:55 PM »
Yes too thin
It's a bread not a wafer  SS  ;)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 12, 2015, 03:56 PM »

Thanks to CHris for this, better late than never- lost two out of the ten though!
Did he ever come back or wasn't he reinvited?

Thanks also to the previous 49 pages or commentry and info... it was mostly balls though  ;)  :D

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 12, 2015, 04:01 PM »
Thanks also to the previous 49 pages or commentry and info... it was mostly balls though  ;)  :D

:D

Now that's cheered me up no end. A lovely stack of naans, bud, superb :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 12, 2015, 04:02 PM »
Did he ever come back or wasn't he reinvited?

He is, as far as we know, still on the banned list.  Perhaps CH could make representations to Stew to have him re-admitted if there is general consensus that he should be (oh dear, I feel another Poll coming on ...).

** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 12, 2015, 04:19 PM »
Now that's cheered me up no end. A lovely stack of naans, bud, superb :)
Cheers, So now looking for seekh kebab reipes... but got a leg of lamb and am seriously tempted to do something with that and stuffit in nans. Anything really for the sake of using em!

He is, as far as we know, still on the banned list.  Perhaps CH could make representations to Stew to have him re-admitted if there is general consensus that he should be (oh dear, I feel another Poll coming on ...).

** Phil.

Seconded!

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 25, 2015, 08:06 AM »
H4ppy's getting very close with this one. Excellent Vid! ;)

Probably forgot about adding a bit Salt.

Near enough CBM's Restaurant Naan Bread in action.

Only difference in my restaurants is its proved, IN the plastic bag.

Nice one :D
cheers Chewy

Hi chewy, does this mean the bulk dough mix is proved in a plastic bag, or the bulk mix is left covered for a while then the balls are made and then placed in a plastic bag to prove?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 25, 2015, 01:14 PM »
Thanks to CHris for this, better late than never- lost two out of the ten though!

Your naan breads look superb - better than anything I've yet made, for sure.

If you followed h4c's non yeast recipe, I assume they were cooked using an inverted pan over a domestic gas hob.

Can anyone produce naan breads that good using a tandoor?

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 25, 2015, 02:56 PM »
Yes George I think they can easily
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:53 PM by Madrasandy »

©2024 Curry Recipes