Author Topic: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe  (Read 253778 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: H4ppy-chris new naan recipe
« Reply #550 on: July 10, 2019, 09:28 PM »
Despite Livo's protests and 'science', the recipe and method works.

Depends what you mean by "works" though doesn't it? For you it might be almost exactly what you're used to. To others, like me, it's a naan bread but not like the ones I'm used to which are superior in my opinion. I've still to try the methods suggested by livo but I think they may be closer to what I'm after. I'll get around to it eventually.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 10, 2019, 11:29 PM »
Quite correct, SS, it's all subjective.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 11, 2019, 12:39 AM »
I can buy a loaf of plain white bread in the generic bag at the supermarket for just over $1. I can buy the fresh daily baked supermarket onsite bakery loaf for $2 or I can go to the local Vietnamese Bakery and buy one of their loaves for $2.80 (best value for money). I could buy a bakery branded baked product for about $4 and be assured of fresh feeling bread for up to 4 or 5 days due to the use of preservatives, or I can go to the franchised Baker's kiosk (where real baker's start work at midnight and knock off at 8.00 am) and pay $4.50 (the nicest bread as you'd expect).   They are all a plain white bread but they are far from being equal.

The point is that you can throw some flour, salt and water in a bowl and mix it up with some raising agent and fashion it to look like a naan and cook it like a naan and you'll get a naan (or a naan shaped biscuit). Or you can use a scaled formula of ingredients blended, rested and baked in a manner that produces something to enjoy.  This recipe from Happy Chris is an example of the latter. It works, lots of people love it and it was a revelation to who knows how many.

My only criticism of Happy Chris' recipe is the addition of Baking Powder.  I simply don't understand the need for it and I can taste it's excessive presence.  Baking powder was developed to provide a shortcut leavening agent for plain flour and used in the correct proportions, it is just fine and does the job well.  Self-Raising flour was developed to replace this requirement.  The use of both is questionable and possibly unnecessary (when using white processed flour).  If extra lift is something you're worried about I would possibly use Baking Soda and avoid the aftertaste of BP.  Considering I could not find a single "Indian" naan with Baking Powder, but many with Baking Soda, and knowing the confusion the naming of the materials generates from different countries, it is possible that there has been an error in the translations somewhere down the line.  In my opinion (only my opinion) the use of Baking Powder is if not erroneous, then at the very least unnecessary.  I have plenty of well researched baking experience so it isn't just a half-baked comment, but it is just my opinion.

I've seen the naan stacks photos in this thread, using this recipe and they look great. If you're happy with the end result, that's all that matters.  I would gladly tuck into them and I'm sure they would be just fine dipped in a nice curry gravy.  As I've said before, I've cooked this recipe exactly to specification and modified versions after my initial assessment.  I believe the modifications to be an improvement.  I notice in this thread that there is comment about the salt content and whether to include it or not and whether or not it makes any difference.  Some would say it does while others may see it differently.  Individual preference with salt is no different to Baking Powder.

I have been experimenting with naan for quite a few years, like many here, and I've had my fair share of disappointments and a few rare successes. I am far from being an expert and have absolutely zero "actual BIR naan" experience in either production or eating.  For the information of others to take or leave as they see fit, I recommend they try the SAF recipe.  It worked for me first time around and again several times since, and gave me naan that is similar to that served to me in establishments out here in both flavour and texture.  It worked for me. Naga and ScottyM seemed to enjoy it. 

Or if you like more richness in flavour and softness, go the yeast, full dairy, yogurt, egg route.  It isn't too difficult to construct a formula that gives the desired hydration level using the 100% flour method.

Will any of these ever truly replicate a freshly cooked restaurant tandoor baked naan?  Probably not.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:51 AM by livo »

Offline bolinao

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 11, 2019, 05:53 AM »
Has anyone discovered the secret of getting the naan to bubble every time ? Mine form bubbles when cooking on the tawa about 20% of the time.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 10, 2019, 07:13 PM »
Haven't made any for a while so made a batch of 12 today - yummy.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: November 10, 2019, 08:45 PM »
Lovely picture and lovely naans Garp.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 10, 2019, 09:16 PM »
 :like:

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 11, 2019, 09:55 AM »
Haven't made any for a while so made a batch of 12 today - yummy.

Very impressive Garp, do you leave the mix in the fridge overnight, and do you use a normal oven? cheers

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 11, 2019, 11:43 AM »
Thanks Micky.

I do leave the dough overnight in the fridge, though I'm not entirely convinced it is necessary. No oven involved mate, just a normal domestic gas ring.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 13, 2019, 09:25 AM »
When you make a batch do you freeze them, and if so do you put butter on before freezing or leave it until the reheat, cheers

©2024 Curry Recipes