Author Topic: Chicken jalfrezi vs Ex hot chicken vindaloo  (Read 39391 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Chicken jalfrezi vs Ex hot chicken vindaloo
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Haven't found time as yet to edit/montage the video footage when Chef Moike stopped by my kitchen.  But here's a couple of dishes for starters being prepared, "un-cut".  Thanks to Goncalo for filming these and risking dropping his brand new Sony Z1 in a jalfrezi.  All good fun.  We had a great time. Any questions we can try to answer them.  This is the first time Moike (a very experienced restaurant chef) has been tasked with making BIR curries in a domestic kitchen.  I gave him a chef's spoon, and a bent ally pan.  To quote Moike, "no problem".  See what you think.  :)

Chicken jalfrezi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F6oyx8DXiU

Ex-hot chicken vindaloo

http://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=e6e5X0F316o

Many thanks to Moike for his permission to post these videos.  More to come.   

Rob  :)

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
Re: Chicken jalfrezi vs Ex hot chicken vindaloo
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 11:25 PM »
Nice One Rob, Great fun round your house.  ;D  ;D

Kudos to Chef Moike, as his Jal frezi is like a Geordie one. ;)

His take on Vindaloo should raise some comments from the usual suspects.
A good insight for Goncalo, but going off this vid soundtrack, he maybe should just watch how its done
and not try and advise the Chef how to do it!  ;D ;D
Big Mistake if he ever gets behind the scenes in a BIR kitchen.

Goncalos phones waterproof, should handle a few curry splashes.
Thanks for sharing
cheers Chewy
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:05 PM by chewytikka »

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 09:54 AM »
Jalfrezi vid is looking good but is it just me who can't see the vindaloo video?  The picture quality from that phone cam looks great by the way, very impressive

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 11:04 AM »
he maybe should just watch how its done
and not try and advise the Chef how to do it!  ;D ;D
Big Mistake if he ever gets behind the scenes in a BIR kitchen.

Thanks for sharing
cheers Chewy

Just imagine saying to Gordon Ramsey or Marco Pierre White, Yo! Chef, why don't you try it my way ;D
Maybe Not ;)

Les

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 11:09 AM »
No prob viewing both vids.  I guess you all had a fun day. Well done the camera man.  Nice quality production there Goncalo. Respect to chef Moike for coping in  a normal domestic kitchen, a bit different to what he's used to  :o  Rob, what's the score with the tomatoes simmering away with the Asian bay?  Can you give us a  bit more info on that?

Many thanks to Moike for his permission to post these videos.  More to come.   

Nice one Rob.  Sad I know, but i could watch vids like this all day long.  Even better when you're standing there watching a master at his craft  ::)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 12:20 PM »
Hope everyone can view both videos.  The vindaloo one seems OK to me but let me know.  Fairly new to uploading youtubees.  They are unlisted (I think) as intended specifically for the forum(s).  I know goncalo enjoyed this part of his trip to trip to Birmingham.  There was plenty of good humour and banter going on during the day.  Wait until you hear some of the comments from the missus.  :D.  I think I may have to edit them out. Goncalo's query on whether there was any chilli powder going into the Ex hot is priceless though  ;D.  Really all great fun and Moike enjoyed himself too.

The day itself was fairly hectic.  The previous day was spent on the cooking course at the Kushi restaurant, which was meant to be the highlight of Goncalo's curry trip, all the way from Ireland. Mine too.  However, as it turned out, the course was pretty shambolic; it started at 1.00, and we were out the door by, I think, 3.15 - 3.30.  Disappointing really, particularly for Goncalo who had invested a lot to come along. Anyway, after the course I got straight onto Moike to confirm he could make it the next day, which thankfully he could.  We then whizzed over to my local TA kitchen to see what was going on.  Chef's night off and the owner was having a go. This was good to watch.  Next, it was back to the Balti triangle, this time to the Adil.  Good grub!  In hindsight I probably should have spent more of the evening prepping like a good un, for Moike's visit the next day.  As it was I did manage to get some onions etc boiled up for the base gravy.  Could have pre-cooked some chicken too, and checked I had everything needed, but it was half one in the morning already, and I was knackered.  The plan was to pick Moike up at 9.00 am!

So next day I was running late (as per usual).  We got to Moike's house at 10.00 and bundled him in the back of my van.  Then, shopping at the Sonali supermarket on Coventry Road, and afterwards more shopping at an Iceland (for the best frozen veg in town). We also just had to visit a local bakery, for some naan  breads (my idea). Then it was back (in horrendous traffic) to my house, during which time I managed to take a wrong turn, which if anyone knows the Birmingham roads is a really bad idea.  I think it was about 12.30 when we eventually arrived.  Moike spotted a bag of onions on the floor, and immediately entered Head chef mode.  Calm, unrushed, and mega efficient. Incredible to watch!  First job.  Washing 1 kg of meat for a trad mutton shatkora bhuna.  He then started washing the whole spices for it.  More blurb when I can.  Just uploading the Chicken pathia footage.  This was a corker.  To-die-for taste.  I felt this was an absolutely outstanding dish.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 12:39 PM »
I don't know why but I still can't view the vindaloo vid, the jalfrezi is fine. This is on ipad. I have noticed the links appear to be formatted differently, the second one has "edit" in the link text?

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 02:04 PM »
How's this one for viewing?

Chicken pathia

http://youtu.be/-qxlTk7eHpE

In this one I'm just standing around pointlessly, mithering the chef about my Ex-hot,  :P instead of doing something useful, like peeling an onion(s), or even looking for another green pepper, which should really be going in the dish (as service onions).  It was truly lovely though.  Interesting here perhaps is the addition of the sugar, in that off camera I present Moike with a bag of sugar and a teaspoon.  This was the only thing that threw him on the day.  You can hear him say "no idea".  He's referring to the fact that he wont be able to judge the amount properly, unless he uses his chef's spoon.  I think there is plenty to learn from these videos, particular for those new to home curry craft.  Anyone spot how Moike is checking the taste repeatedly of each dish?  He does this without fail every time, exactly how he cooks in the TAs/restaurants.  Another think I noticed is that he was perfectly happy on the right burner (3 kW) and left the higher power burner for other things. Interesting when you check how long it took him to cook the jalfrezi?  I have some short, limited quality footage of Moike working in a TA kitchen, which I will post for comparison.  Ex-hot vindaloo if I remember correctly.  :).

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 02:19 PM »
I don't know why but I still can't view the vindaloo vid, the jalfrezi is fine.

I click on the youtube icon to watch each video on youtube.com, with no problem.

The quality of the video really is incredible, especially on full(1080) HD. It's quite an advert for the Sony Z1.

But youtube report that: "This video is unlisted. Be considerate and think twice before sharing."!

How good did these dishes taste? Perfectly respectable or up there with the best?

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 02:43 PM »
Another good vid  ;D
I thought the 'red sauce pan' was a cooked Red Masala Sauce in the first vid.
Looks like its a Pathia Mix in this one, did you document/remember what went into it?
Really good to watch the slight tweaking in old school recipes.

Keep them coming, good fun watching the dynamic duo and Chef Moike.

You could PM me, the 'red sauce pan' if you don't want to publish. ;)
cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes