Author Topic: Getting rid of the "sandy" texture!  (Read 17868 times)

Offline liam1412

• Chef
    • View Profile
Getting rid of the "sandy" texture!
« on: December 16, 2013, 08:14 PM »
Hi all

I'm practically brand new to cooking, aside from a spag bol every now and again.  I have attempted curries in the past a couple of times now and always seem to get the same gritty texture.  Taste wise, they are OK, nothing amazing compare to a proper indian takeaway,  but the texture is always the same.

It's either a Dopiaza or a Massala that I try to cook usually always with the same result.  I'm going to browse over the site for recipes etc,  but the gritty texture is really a deal breaker when it comes to a good curry. 

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of the "sandy" texture!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:44 PM »
There can be a couple of reasons for the gritty effect.  I had it when i first started.  Are you using pre-ground spices.  Not sure how much BIR cooking you've done Liam.  Have you made a base yet, if so which one.  I'm sure we soon replace your gritty efforts with a nice smooth silky sauce  ;D

Offline liam1412

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:00 PM »
Hi curryhell, thanks for your reply.

I have no experience of BIR cooking,  I only found this site by searching google after about 4 failed curries over the last year.  I don't do much cooking but I enjoy it and am trying to get into it more after getting a decent knife set for my birthday.

I didn't use a base, I followed a basic recipe off All recipes or something similar,  and it was underwhelming to say the least.  It was along the lines of

1 Onion, 1" square of Ginger and 3 garlic cloves blended.
Fry the puree
1 tsp of each, cumin, turmeric, ground corriander
fry some more
Add chicken and about 200ml of water and cook for 5 mins ish till chicken had turned white
Add 1 tsp of Garam Massala, 3 cordomom pods, and 2 crumpled bay leaves.
Simmer to desired thickness (about 30 mins) and serve.

The spices were all pre ground,  Asda's own brand. Nothing special.

I just watched the video of the Glasgow base sauce with Mr Singh.  I think I am going to make this, but I only have a small freezer.  Is it ok just to scale everything down by half or will the result not be the same.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Well if you've watched the Glasgow base you'll have a general idea of how the base is made.  Using the Glasgow base is slightly different to many bases on here as it is a one pot base where the flavour is meant to be in the base and it's a matter of tweeking it with different ingredients.  BIR where i come from is slightly different where the flavour is created in frying spice, tomato paste and a little gravy and then adding more gravy and reducing and repeating the process.
I'm sure you'll get plenty of opportunity to put that knife set to use chopping onions and other ingredients.  With regard to scaling down a recipe, yes you can.  Some can be scaled quite successfully, others, well that is very debatable.
Have a look at the videos from Currybarkingmade, Chewytikka and the Zaal experience.  This will give you a good idea what you're getting into and how to do it. But it does take a bit of practice though  ;) Once you get in to the swing of things you'll have a good curry on the table in under 15 - 20 minutes.  But this does require you doing all the prep beforehand.  No pain, no gain so they say  ;D

http://bircurries.co.uk/forum/

http://www.youtube.com/user/CURRYHOLIC1

http://vimeo.com/mikestyne

Offline liam1412

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:25 PM »
Ok thanks for the tips,  I fancy a chicken tikka dopiaza next as that is what I order from my local takeaway when I do. Any advice / recipes on here you recommend.

©2024 Curry Recipes