Author Topic: Asian bay leaf v European  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Asian bay leaf v European
« on: December 27, 2013, 11:51 AM »
I've been looking at one of H4ppy's curry videos and he talks about using Asian bay leaves.  I haven't seen any of these being sold where I live.  I did see them being used in an Indian restaurant the other night but the chef said to me that they were no different to local bay leaves.  They certainly look different.  Would you guys on this forum think that I should try and get my hands on the Asian type or are the European ones adequate to use as a substitution?  Any thought?

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Asian bay leaf v European
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 01:16 PM »
Hi Ader1 , when it comes to cooking Indian dishes the Asian Bay is much better, sweet and fragrant compared to the more citric flavour of the European Bay.
Asian Bay are not so easy to find as European (not around here anyway) and I have seen many of the well known spice suppliers putting European Bay in their packs alongside all their Indian spices so do your research so you know the difference  ;)
For reference the European Bay has a vein that runs along the centre of the leaf with veins coming off at 90 degrees to the sides whereas Asian Bay has veins all shooting out from the bottom ( fan like ).

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 01:20 PM »
I've been looking at one of H4ppy's curry videos and he talks about using Asian bay leaves.  I haven't seen any of these being sold where I live.  I did see them being used in an Indian restaurant the other night but the chef said to me that they were no different to local bay leaves.  They certainly look different.  Would you guys on this forum think that I should try and get my hands on the Asian type or are the European ones adequate to use as a substitution?  Any thought?
Are they different?  As different as chalk and cheese Ader1.  For those of us fortunate to have easy access to both types, the comparison is easy and the results stark  :o  They are IMHO very much a part of the BIR jigsaw.  And I am very surprised by the chef's comment  :o :o But i suppose in the absence of tej patha or however you spell, the laurel leaf variety will just have to suffice  ;D Maybe add it to next year's Xmas wish list  ;)

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 01:29 PM »
Thank you both.  I did have a look on ebay without any luck to find them.  I found another thread discussing this and somebody there mentioned that they had an ebay supplier.  Anybody know of any on-line supplier(s)?  Regarding the chef, maybe he wasn't aware of the European variety.  Next time I go, I might take an European leaf to show them what I meant when I said they are different. 

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Next time I go, I might take an European leaf to show them what I meant when I said they are different.
Next time you go in I'd also be tempted to ask him for a handful if you can't get them locally  :)  I'm sure he'd oblige.

You can order on line but delivery costs are high unless spending quite a bit of money.

http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/indian-bay-leaves-indian-tej-patta-leaf-10g-2178-p.asp

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 02:11 PM »
Next time I go, I might take an European leaf to show them what I meant when I said they are different.
Next time you go in I'd also be tempted to ask him for a handful if you can't get them locally  :)  I'm sure he'd oblige.

You can order on line but delivery costs are high unless spending quite a bit of money.

http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/indian-bay-leaves-indian-tej-patta-leaf-10g-2178-p.asp

Oooo err Matron  ;D  ;)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 02:19 PM »
Do you ever see the European variety packaged and labelled as 'tej patta'?

I'm sure i have such a pack from Rajah but not at home to double check.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 02:48 PM »

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 03:30 PM »
Thank you all.  I'm back there again tonight. 

©2024 Curry Recipes