Author Topic: "Oohhh, that was /so/ good" (Kashmiri Chicken Achari).  (Read 5592 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
"Oohhh, that was /so/ good" (Kashmiri Chicken Achari).
« on: January 16, 2014, 08:50 PM »
This is a follow-up to my soup-maker base message that appeared under "What do you want from Santa ?".  I made a further curry this evening using the 48822 base, but a very different curry to the last one, and this one was so good that I just had to share it.

The meat was one thigh from a very large Waitrose free-range chicken, which from its size I thought might be tough ("large" = "old", when it comes to chickens).  I could not have been more wrong.  The meat was cut from the bone in two large strips, and then into curry-sized pieces.  These were lightly pre-cooked in oil, a little g/g, Kashmiri masala, a little tamarind paste, and a little 48822 base.  After five minutes, the contents of the pan were reserved.

Then some more oil, g/g, tamarind paste, 2 teaspoons mixed pickling spice (coarse grind), 2 teaspoons cumin, one teaspoon each Kashmiri mirch, Deggi mirch, ground fenugreek seeds ("methi"), coarse sea salt.  All gently fried together until the spices started to look dry and the smell had changed, then in with a little tomate pur
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:36 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: "Oohhh, that was /so/ good" (Kashmiri Chicken Achari).
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:20 PM »
That looks extremely nice Phil :)

Oh! And Happy New Year to you :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:22 PM »
Thank you, Bob -- and a very Happy New Year to you, and to all at Royal Holloway.
** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 09:29 PM »
Cracking looking curry Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 10:17 AM »
That looks a treat there Phil - nice one :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:41 AM »
I made a further curry this evening using the 48822 base

You left me wondering what on earth you mean by a "48822 base". I support the campaign for plain English.

In case anyone else is as puzzled as I was, I think it means a base prepared in his new toy - a soup maker with the model number M-R 48822. I guess the base sauce recipe is actually a "KD-1 base, scaled down". That's the base sauce recipe from Kris Dillon's first book "The Curry Secret" published in the early 1980s.

I think you said this device runs on the basis of a 20 minute cooking cycle. I never heat my base sauce for much longer than that but Secret Santa or someone recently gave me reason to think it might be worth trying a longer cooking time, in order to achieve greater caramelisation. If he's right, isn't the soup maker a bit limited?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 10:55 AM »
I made a further curry this evening using the 48822 base

You left me wondering what on earth you mean by a "48822 base". I support the campaign for plain English.

In case anyone else is as puzzled as I was, I think it means a base prepared in his new toy - a soup maker with the model number M-R 48822. I guess the base sauce recipe is actually a "KD-1 base, scaled down". That's the base sauce recipe from Kris Dillon's first book "The Curry Secret" published in the early 1980s.

Orl Korrekt so far :)

I think you said this device runs on the basis of a 20 minute cooking cycle. I never heat my base sauce for much longer than that but Secret Santa or someone recently gave me reason to think it might be worth trying a longer cooking time, in order to achieve greater caramelisation. If he's right, isn't the soup maker a bit limited?

Yes, but it has an owner who is capable of re-starting it, and also of using it in "juicer" mode.  So my base actually had one 21-minute soup run, 2 x 2-minute juicer runs, and then a second 21-minute soup run after which it was perfect.  Yes, more trouble than using (say) Michael.T's Thermomix, but then a saving of some
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:17 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 02:21 PM »
Phil, for gods-sake can you put a sock in it about the soup machine. I have a birthday coming up at the end of the month and I can feel another kitchen gadget coming on and then my wife telling me I'm getting more and more like my mother everyday. NOOOooooooooo
 :) :)

PS. Curry looks nice

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 02:44 PM »
It's not often I laugh out loud, Gav, but I can assure you that your last message had exactly that effect, and is in fact still having it :)  "Just like your mother", indeed !

P.S.  Some nice mini-woks in Asda from Sunday, ideal for a one-person curry I would have thought ...

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 03:13 PM »

P.S.  Some nice mini-woks in Asda from Sunday, ideal for a one-person curry I would have thought ...

Don't , just don't. Stop it....... now. ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes