Author Topic: Onion bhajis  (Read 6676 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Onion bhajis
« on: January 23, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Guys,I was all set to wheel my tandoori oven out today and try the much talked about naan recipe from Happy4chris.However as the weather took a turn for the worse I thought better of it and decided to knock up some onion bhajis instead.A lot of recipes I have seem to be quite similar in terms of ingredients and a lot seem to call for a spoonful of kashmiri massala paste.Now after my recent visit to my local cash and carry I managed to get hold of a catering sized tub of Pasco kashmiri massala paste.I've seen this stuff in a lot of restaurant kitchens,taste it and you'll find it's very different to your bog standard Patak's version you find in Asda's etc.Much more flavour and indeed quite hot.

Anyway here they are,I cooked quite a few but they didn't last very long....

They were very good indeed,better than some of the bland takeaway ones I seem to get these days!!

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Onion bhajis
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Mmmm look delicious, wish I had some of them now with a nice yoghurt mint sauce. Think I might have to make some at weekend, havent made any for an age. Which recipe did you use Jb?

Offline Mattie

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:24 PM »
They do look fantastic, nice and crispy too.  Whats your favorite dip for them?

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 11:27 AM »
I basically followed the recipe in CBM'S first book.I added a touch of baking powder,some tandoori powder and some mint sauce.These couple of additions bring them so close to my local takeaway's superb bhajis I struggle to tell the difference.The kashmiri massala paste definitely plays a big part.I've made them before without it and they just didn't have 'that' taste.I've also struggled with scaled down bhaji recipes being too wet and not cooking properly,but the consistency of CBM's batter is quite dry and they crisp up very nicely.I didn't make a dip,but If I did it would be Dip's mint sauce.As good,if not better than your standard BIR mint sauce.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:24 PM »
Look good jb, I'm going to have to have another bash at making these. Added to the list

Offline MrsMarge

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:23 PM »
These look amazing.  I want to try this and have added the paste to my shopping list, hopefully our cash n carry will have the paste.

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 12:05 AM »
I was watching a guy making some yesterday and he added Tandoori Paste and Tikka Paste but no Kashmiri Paste.  He added to Kashmiri Paste to his Keema (minced meat) for making Keema rice etc and to his mixture making Chicken Tikka.

Offline ottis

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 07:07 AM »
I thought this was an usual way of making them..remind me more of the ones you find in Morrisons..Never seen them made this way before..they look real tasty..ottis..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk3S3_3gXMQ

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 03:40 PM »
I've seen this video before and it's a nice take on the shape of an onion bhaji - I was served them like this many years ago in Brighton. The two stage cooking method is not new though - Dipuraja does this in his video albeit he doesn't alter the shape between stages. He opens up the inside of the bhajis a bit so that they will cook on the inside during the second cook.

If this is being filmed in real time then the bhajis got roughly 1 minute for the first cook and 2 1/2 to 3 minutes for the second cook.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 06:16 PM »
I'd be mortified if I was served these as onion bhajis. They're onion burgers!

Watch the chicken and sweetcorn biryani from the same chap. Greasy, oily nastiness. If this is what Scots aspire to in BIR (or should that be SIR) they can keep it - blech!

I assume these are all vids from the Glasgow curry series?

©2024 Curry Recipes