Author Topic: Tarka Dhal  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Tarka Dhal
« on: February 02, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Hi Guys

Just wondered how you guys eat this and what with. Do you have it runny or thick, do you eat with rice or naans etc.

I have made Colin Grigson's dhal many times and it gets used in Dhansaks and then snacked on whilst cooking, so there is none left to have as a dish itself.

Ideas welcomed

Ed

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tarka Dhal
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 01:40 PM »
So thick you can stand your spoon up in it. I dansak or with a bit of meat.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 10:24 PM »
I have made Colin Grigson's dhal many times and it gets used in Dhansaks and then snacked on whilst cooking, so there is none left to have as a dish itself.
I love this recipe too.  So much so we never get the tarka dhall stage  ???  Normally there is enough for the dhansak having constantly picked incessantly at the rest  :P ;D

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Hi Ed,

I make this regularly and at least 2 times a week at the Uni. I can't stand sloppy, runny dhals, but a medium thickish dhal always goes down well here.

I also use a variety of lentils, this Thursday I played around and used 4 heads of garlic in the tarka, along with onions, spice mix, finely sliced green chilli's and fennel seeds.

Another variety, is to add methi leaves to the dahl when cooking and then on top of the tarka, a handful of finely chopped fresh coriander.

I've even added cashew nuts and sultanas which have been toasted in butter ghee over the top too.

There is no end to what you can do if you use your imagination :)

©2024 Curry Recipes