Author Topic: Victor carbon pans  (Read 2619 times)

Offline gansant

• Chef
    • View Profile
Victor carbon pans
« on: February 08, 2014, 04:41 PM »
   I decided to have a scout round the shops for a carbon steel curry pan and found a bargin in the discount place, Boundary Mill. I got a 24cm pan for ?2.70, probably bargin of the century. I've seasoned it, given it a test drive and the currys are coming out much better as the heat I can get through this thing on a domestic gas ring is nuclear compared to my old alum non stick.

Excuse the crappy pic from my phone as I'm waiting for a link lead for a camera. I'm so blown away by this pan that I've ordered the bigger 35cm so I can fit more awesomeness in the pan. Only down side I'll give it is the handle is a fraction over sized which makes it a little unsteady before the food goes in but a hacksaw and angle grinder will soon fix that.

On the pan debate I decided to go with the carbon steel due to some of the fear mongers talking about alum being toxic. I'm 99% sure that is crap but it was enough to scrare me onto steel. Thing is, the results I'm getting with this pan are so good I don't feel I've lost anything.

Offline spook8519

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Victor carbon pans
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 10:07 PM »
I've used Iron steel pans,Alu pans,Wok's,non stick pans and I don't seem to be able to tell the difference yet. Though my latest tesco ?5 wok carbon steel non stick seems good for less splatter :)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:27 PM by spook8519 »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 10:43 PM »
I decided to have a scout round the shops for a carbon steel curry pan and found a bargin in the discount place, Boundary Mill. I got a 24cm pan for ?2.70

Ee, lad, Boundary Mill's a bit far for we effete Southerners to go.  Tha cud mebbe make a penny or two if tha were t' buy them in and offer t' post them at cost-and-a-bit ...

** Phil.

Offline gansant

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 12:14 AM »
You might be reet, seeing them in store for ?2.70 compared to 20 quid online might be a way to make a bob or 2.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 02:33 AM »
Welcome to cR0 gansant and Spook

Whoa Spook, that kitchens way to clean for a curry monster.
The cheap wok would be good for knocking up some pilau or maybe flipping a H4ppy Naan.

You got yourself a good catering pan gansant, so cheap!

One mans steel, is anothers Aluminium. ;)

Depends how much currying you do, but you would find out the difference if you used the 303 gauge Alu version of this.

24cm is ideal for single/double curries.
35cm is far too large, as your initial ingredients, when starting a curry (Tarka/Bagar) will look lost in it
and be difficult to control, unless you use loads of oil. (pans surface area etc...)
I've got a 30cm, hardly ever use it, for the same reason.

Just my opinion of course ;D

curry on
cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes