Author Topic: Korma V Madras  (Read 14192 times)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Korma V Madras
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Why is it that I can make a perfect Korma identical in every way to BIR but still cant replicate a Madras ( something missing ) its really annoying me now - anyone else experiencing this?

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Korma V Madras
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Gaz, have you tried Chewy's Madras? I think it's spot on. I use his base recipe as well.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 08:25 PM »
No, I actually bought a pressure cooker and made a base 2 weeks ago, still not done chewys as of yet, u think its 100% then?

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:18 AM »
No, I actually bought a pressure cooker and made a base 2 weeks ago, still not done chewys as of yet, u think its 100% then?

I think it's as good as I remember, it hits the spot with me. Although, as we know, it's a regional thing, and, of course, technique plays a major part.

Cheers,
Ken

Online Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:25 PM »

I think it's as good as I remember, it hits the spot with me. Although, as we know, it's a regional thing...

It certainly is. CT's madras was not only the worst madras I've ever made it also ranked close to the worst curry I've ever made. If I ever find some MDH kashmiri powder I intend to make it again to see if this brand really does make all the difference.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 04:19 PM »
I think you must've cocked it up SS. There's no way a simple curry like a CT madras can be called "worst curry ever made" unless the chef making it screwed up cooking of the dish. It's no more than a medium curry with a few shakes of Lea & Perrins and lemon juice at the right time.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:14 PM by natterjak »

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 07:55 PM »

[/quote]

It certainly is. CT's madras was not only the worst madras I've ever made it also ranked close to the worst curry I've ever made. If I ever find some MDH kashmiri powder I intend to make it again to see if this brand really does make all the difference.
[/quote]

SS did you manage to find MDH Kashiri Mirch???.

Online Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 11:24 PM »
SS did you manage to find MDH Kashiri Mirch???.

I did indeed london. And I had another go at CT's madras with it and some proper lemon dressing rather than the lemon juice I used previously.

It was a lot more palatable than my first effort but still had the nasty bitter undertone that I've never had with any other curry before, although I could tolerate the lemon sourness this time as the dressing is far less acidic than real lemon juice. So it wasn't the worst curry I've ever had this time but still not anything like any madras I've ever sampled before (and I've had a few over the years).

Fair enough if it's a regional difference but the kashmiri chilli is definitely not to my liking at all. I still think that a tablespoon of kashmiri as the only chilli in the madras is just wrong, it doesn't have the chilli heat required in a madras for one thing. I can imagine it might work in lower quantities in addition to other chilli powders but I've yet to try that.

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 07:44 AM »
I personally thought Chewys Madras was alright but have now been tweeking a few different recipes and found my personal fave which for me is spot on and has great results every week when I make it :)

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 07:45 AM »
Hi SS have you tried Madrasandy's, that has three types of chilli powder, standard hot chilli powder, Kashmiri chilli powder and Deggi mirch chilli powder. That along with the addition of methi, star anise etc etc makes it a very very good madras!!

Ed

©2024 Curry Recipes