Author Topic: Korma V Madras  (Read 14104 times)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Korma V Madras
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Chewy's madras is good, but it's nothing like the madras I love and buy
I know he doesn't believe you add old oil to the curry gravy
Well that's what they do around here, and it makes a huge difference to the gravy and subsequent curries.
If I could make an exact BIR madras, I think I would die a happy man

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 09:23 PM »
Madras isn't my favourite curry by any means, but Andy's (madrasandy) latest effort gets my vote :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 10:01 PM »
Well that's what they do around here, and it makes a huge difference to the gravy and subsequent curries.

I have no doubt that some definitely add used oil to their bases haldi, when I try it though it seems to make little difference. I've used onion bhaji oil, poppadom oil etc., but any flavour seems to get lost in the overall base flavour so makes no perceptible difference.

I thought it interesting that you got what you consider the BIR smell when using kebab shop oil. Do you know what they cook in the oil and do they sell curries as well?

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 09:26 AM »
I thought it interesting that you got what you consider the BIR smell when using kebab shop oil. Do you know what they cook in the oil and do they sell curries as well?
very late getting back on this, sorry
They cook chips and fried chicken in the oil and it was well used
And no, they didn't make curries
I used this oil to duplicate a curry house that uses the same method
They are now closed but made curries with a very old style flavour
The 1970's taste
The curry mix they used was this Bassar curry powder
This stuff:-
http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Al-Noor-Pakastani-Bassar-Curry-Masala.html
And in my opinion made the best curry in Nottingham

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 09:35 AM »
The curry mix they used was this Bassar curry powder
This stuff:-
http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Al-Noor-Pakastani-Bassar-Curry-Masala.html
And in my opinion made the best curry in Nottingham

Great stuff, Al Noor Bassar Curry Masala; used in place of ground chillies, it adds a whole new level of depth and complexity to the final dish.  Interestingly the two Pakistani chaps in our Tibet/Nepal group had not used it; they said that the Al Noor brand is very popular in Pakistan, but they (and their mums) preferred to make their own curry masala by blending and grinding whole spices rather than use any pre-prepared version.

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 02:29 PM »
Great stuff, Al Noor Bassar Curry Masala;

Yes this is what I consider 'authentic' bassar masala because it's got the mustard oil mixed in already. I don't know why but when I try other brands that don't have the oil in and it separately myself it just doesn't produce the same taste - weird.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 06:28 PM »
it's got the mustard oil mixed in already.

Well spotted but how do they do that? I can see how a chilli can be dried and turned into powder but how can oil be in a dry mix, without the product appearing more like a paste? Perhaps it's just mustard seeds which include nominal oil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 06:32 PM »
it's got the mustard oil mixed in already.

Well spotted but how do they do that? I can see how a chilli can be dried and turned into powder but how can oil be in a dry mix, without the product appearing more like a paste? Perhaps it's just mustard seeds which include nominal oil.

It's not a true dry mix George as the oil is just added in. It has a sort of damp texture to it.

littlechilie

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 09:09 AM »
Hi for me we always tend to over complicate a Real BIR Madras sauce, but when it comes from a TA it is light on spice and subtle of flavours and deep on heat.
IMO 60% of a madras is in the base sauce and if this is over spiced then it's never going to happen.
Also the initial frying of the spice is Imo the main culprit for people turning a curry bitter, along with the gravy being way to thick to reduce itself properly.
I am able replicate my TA Madras no problem with 1 spoon oil, half a teaspoon of mix powder and half a teaspoon of ground fenugreek leaf + 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli pow + pinch of salt + half teaspoon of tom pur?e, little tamarind and a slice of lemon.
That's all it takes along with a very lightly spiced base gravy and the correct cooking and reducing. :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:26 AM by littlechilie »

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55 PM »
Also the initial frying of the spice is Imo the main culprit for people turning a curry bitter

Hi littlechillie

I dont understand this comment.

Is the bitterness due to undercooking or overcooking?

When I overcook spices, I find that all the flavour has disappeared and the curry is somewhat bland but not really bitter -  unless I really burn them. I can imagine a bitter taste then. Perhaps you could explain. Please dont think Im being argumentative...

Maybe Im a bit thick and have missed something

Regards

Mick

©2024 Curry Recipes