Author Topic: Thai Curry Night at The Uni.....  (Read 2667 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Thai Curry Night at The Uni.....
« on: February 12, 2014, 09:08 PM »
Wednesday is any Cuisine we like night, and lately, I have been doing a lot of Mediterranean stuff, so decided to put on a Thai feast tonight for the students.

Thai Mussaman Beef Curry. Thai Red Chicken Curry, Thai Mixed Veggie Curry and a Lemongrass & Cardamom Rice. I make all my own Thai Curry Pastes, of which some I have posted on here in the past.

It's nice when nothing is left, you don't have to blast chill it, record the temperature or make something else out of it within 2 days or lose it :)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Thai Curry Night at The Uni.....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 09:55 PM »
Top nosh mate

best, Rich

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 07:22 PM »
Hi Mate, Your a talent  8)  I don't know where you find the time to do all that.

Thanks for posting do you mind posting your Thai Red Chicken Curry Recipe,
Regards UB

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Looks great Sir! Thai food is something I've not really experimented with.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Hi Mate, Your a talent  8)  I don't know where you find the time to do all that.

Thanks for posting do you mind posting your Thai Red Chicken Curry Recipe,
Regards UB

Hi UB,

I have to say that I am free to develop whatever I want to a degree at the Uni given the time as long as we make service at the right time and the students and staff are happy with our food. I am working on a number of things at the moment which will all come to light in the future.

Given that I start most days at 07:00 hrs and finish around 20:00 hrs and I only take a 20 minute break each day for some food intake, gives me the time for such development although it is taking it's toll and I will need to take some time out soon.... but I love what I do and wish I had gone down this route when I was 17!!!!

I've got to the stage where I don't measure stuff anymore, I just add what I think is about right and then taste as I go along, but here goes.

Oil
Finely Chopped Onion
Red Thai Curry Paste (I have put a recipe on here for this previously, let me know if you can't find it)
Kaffir Lime Leaves
Fish Sauce
Light Muscovado sugar
Coconut milk (I use Maggi Coconut milk powder mixed with skimmed milk) This makes a better mixture than using water)
Finely sliced fresh chilli's
Lime Juice
Salt
Chicken, (chopped and sealed in a pan first)

Heat the oil, then add the onion and fry gently until it is soft and translucent, then add the paste and the chilli and fry gently.

Add the coconut milk and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer.

Add the kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and salt.

Mix all together and let cook for 3-5 minutes whilst stirring.

Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning. Either add more sugar or salt or lime juice to balance the taste, the sauce should be quite light but thickish and not overpowering.

Add the chicken and stir in. The water in the chicken (and yes all chicken contains some water) will thin the sauce down to a nice consistency.

This is a Thai red curry that I produce at the Uni, we can go on to add mini corn on the cob, Mangetout, peppers, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, carrots, green beans, in fact any veggies you like to suit your individual taste.

The only thing I would add as an extra and depending upon the red curry paste you use, would be a chicken stock, as some pastes can be a bit bland, and the stock gives your sauce more depth.

Hope this helps but feel free to ask questions :)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 03:20 AM »
Thanks for that, ill be trying soon  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes