Author Topic: Excellent Onion Bhajis  (Read 4350 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Excellent Onion Bhajis
« on: March 02, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Hi made these last night and they are fantastic, the best ive made. I cannot take credit for the recipe as it is from the Guardian, but thought it deserves posting ....

Makes 8
60g gram flour
30g rice flour
1 tbsp ghee or butter, melted
Juice of 1/4 lemon
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin seeds, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
1-2 hot green chillies (to taste), finely minced
2 tsp root ginger, finely grated
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Small bunch of coriander, chopped
2 fresh curry leaves, chopped (optional)
2 onions, halved, core removed and thinly sliced
Vegetable oil, to cook

Sift the flours into a mixing bowl, then stir in the ghee and lemon juice and just enough cold water to bring it to the consistency of double cream. Stir in the spices, aromatics and herbs and add salt to taste. Stir in the onions so they are well coated.

Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 180C, or fill a large pan a third full with oil and heat ? a drop of batter should sizzle as it hits the oil, then float. Meanwhile, put a bowl of cold water next to the hob, and a plate lined with kitchen paper. Put the oven on a low heat.

Once the oil is up to temperature, wet your hands and shape tablespoon-sized amounts of the mixture into balls. Drop into the oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pan, then stir carefully to stop them sticking. Cook , turning occasionally, until crisp and golden, then drain on the paper and put in the oven to keep warm while you cook the next batch.

Serve with Dipuraja's Mint Sauce (the best Mint Sauce)

Original Recipe and a nice little read-http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/nov/13/how-to-make-perfect-onion-bhajis

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Excellent Onion Bhajis
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Thanks tommy99 for posting original link

©2024 Curry Recipes