Author Topic: THE SECRET TO THAT TAKE AWAY CURRY TASTE ( PART 2 ) AVAILABLE NOW  (Read 27582 times)

Offline namtin

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: THE SECRET TO THAT TAKE AWAY CURRY TASTE ( PART 2 ) AVAILABLE NOW
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Thanks lads I think I'll get it, is the Madras as good as Chewtikkas in your opinion? And do you think it really makes much difference using a different base? I use Curry2Go's one and did with Chewys Madras + his Mix powder

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Thanks lads I think I'll get it, is the Madras as good as Chewtikkas in your opinion? And do you think it really makes much difference using a different base? I use Curry2Go's one and did with Chewys Madras + his Mix powder
If we are talking about the glasgow recipes, I prefer this to Chewys
But you MUST use the glasgow base
It won't taste the same if you don't
You can mix & match recipes, but what you get will be something new
The main flavour of the glasgow madras recipe, comes from the base

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 06:45 PM »
I would also recommend Madrasandy's madras, which has now become my madras of choice :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2014, 06:53 PM »
i was saying i would pay that much if an e book could guarantee the results!, Cheers

There are people on this forum, and I'm one of them, who'd gladly pay twice that much for a real, breakthrough book.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2014, 07:13 PM »
I would happily pay a small fortune too
Also I would throw in the wife and kids 

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Unfortunately no such book exists, in my opinion. The secret is in the cooking, practice, practice practice.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2014, 08:58 PM »
The secret is in the cooking, practice, practice practice.

No, it really isn't. Yes, practice and knowledge of the techniques are important but if that were all there was to it I'd still be able to walk down to the high street and pick up a curry with the lush savouriness and delicious aroma of yesteryear but sadly I can't. So if the BIR chefs themselves can't do it there's almost no chance for me (even with 30+ years of total curry cooking experience).

The problem is that some people's BIR curry standards are, and I won't mince words here, rather low and will be based on what they're used to from their local BIR curries.

A case in point is CT's madras which the majority of people on here feel is an ace madras. I recently tried it again with the recommended MDH kashmiri masala and lemon dressing, as opposed to lemon juice and, to be fair, it was certainly more palatable than my first effort. But it still had the same unpleasant background bitterness from the kashmiri chilli and of course lacked any madras chilli heat because the kasmiri is too underpowered in that department. Add to that that it resembles no madras I've ever eaten and we're seeing a huge rift between one person's expectations and experience of BIR curries and another's.

So no Stephen, it really isn't all about practice.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2014, 09:31 PM »
The BIR chefs you suggest who produce sub-standard curries, are I expect doing so because they are cutting costs in search of profit and therefore quality isn't their goal. It's like the lowest common denominator and goodness knows there are plenty of sub standard curry houses kicking around. Indeed to call them chefs is I think generous.

I take your point it's not just about all about practice but my point was it's not all about the recipe book - I don't think either can sit in isolation.

Agreed?

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 06:27 PM »
we're seeing a huge rift between one person's expectations and experience of BIR curries and another's.
I think that statement hits the nail squarely on the head
I liked Chewy's madras, but it's not what I buy round here

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2014, 07:16 PM »
The secret is in the cooking, practice, practice practice.

No, it really isn't. Yes, practice and knowledge of the techniques are important but if that were all there was to it I'd still be able to walk down to the high street and pick up a curry with the lush savouriness and delicious aroma of yesteryear but sadly I can't. So if the BIR chefs themselves can't do it there's almost no chance for me (even with 30+ years of total curry cooking experience).

The problem is that some people's BIR curry standards are, and I won't mince words here, rather low and will be based on what they're used to from their local BIR curries.

A case in point is CT's madras which the majority of people on here feel is an ace madras. I recently tried it again with the recommended MDH kashmiri masala and lemon dressing, as opposed to lemon juice and, to be fair, it was certainly more palatable than my first effort. But it still had the same unpleasant background bitterness from the kashmiri chilli and of course lacked any madras chilli heat because the kasmiri is too underpowered in that department. Add to that that it resembles no madras I've ever eaten and we're seeing a huge rift between one person's expectations and experience of BIR curries and another's.

So no Stephen, it really isn't all about practice.

To be honest if you get bitterness with Kashmiri chilli powder (or any other chilli powder) in a finished curry, chances are you've not cooked the chilli properly.  If, however, the chilli is cooked properly, and you still get underlying bitterness, then likely you haven't cooked the onions properly.  BIR cooking is all about technique, and practice.

Rob  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes