Author Topic: Potatoes in OB's  (Read 4330 times)

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Potatoes in OB's
« on: March 05, 2014, 03:26 PM »
Guys

I've noticed the inclusion of potato in onion bhahji's, what's peoples opinions on the benefit or not of this?

Cheers

ED

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Potatoes in OB's
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Don't see the point of their inclusion any more than I do lentils or the 101 other weird additions that seem to crop up. It's an onion bhaji (well bhajia technically)- nuff said!

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:59 PM »
I've tried carrot but not spuds.  Moving away from BIR I think.  The trad onion bhaji (the Bengali lads love them) can be half onion/half dhal.  I have a feeling they are shallow fried in butter ghee.  Melt in your mouth, and awesome.  I've noticed many of the supermarkets' (Asda etc.) ready-made OBs contain dhal, and are reminiscent of trad bhaji, but very poor copies.  The missus quite likes them though.

Rob  :) 

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Hi Guys

The reason I ask is cos the group test winner CWG.s bhajis include potato matchsticks and that surprised me?

Gonna give it a go, my current fave big time is CA s but curiosity has gotten the better of me

Ed

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 09:51 PM »
You definitely have to try it Ed but for me it made no perceptible improvement. And if by chance you prefer it with potato remember it ain't an onion bhaji you like it's an onion/potato bhaji or a dopyaloo!   ::) ;D

Offline chef888

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 12:03 PM »
grated spud means loads a starch and that helps stick everything together Ty ( Ivan )

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 04:29 PM »
Well

I made CWG's IG onion bhajis with the potato in and they blew me and the pub away!! These are very different to the last lot i took to the pub, CA's. They are less sweet and more savoury and more crispy and are now the preffered ones for said pub. I think the difference is the lack of sugar and the inclusion of the asafotaeida

Very nice and moorish!!

Ed

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 01:01 AM »
I tried making bhajis with grated potato once and probably wouldn't bother again. However, a generous amount of finely shredded spinach in the mix is well worth trying IMO. It goes lovely and crispy as well as adding another flavour dimension.

All the best

Mike

©2024 Curry Recipes