Author Topic: New Pataks pastes  (Read 10381 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
New Pataks pastes
« on: March 05, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Was in one of my local Asian supermarkets earlier briefly and noticed that Pataks have brightened up the labels on their pastes, etc.  Seem to be one or two new ones.  For example, Handi paste, Jalfrezi paste, Goan vindaloo paste.  I've not seen these before. Interestingly, there was no sign of Tandoori curry paste (tamarind and ginger) anywhere. Wondering if the essential ingredient for Blade's recipe has been discontinued.  Shock, horror!

Rob  :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Pataks pastes
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:53 PM »
I've Just bought some Bengali Bob.  It says 'Tandoori Marinade' on this label, but there was a mixture of both on the shelf. Tried the Punjabi Makhani paste when it came out and found it like smoked paprika in loads of oil. Could easily botch everyone's dinner with this. Recently tried the Hariyali paste(intro price

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Reckon I'll investigate a few shops tomorrow and stock-up, just in case; before any panic buying starts.  I was only in the shops for two minutes today, but almost sure I clocked a tamarind and chilli paste.

Rob  :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 08:58 PM »
You know, if there was one subject I could take control of on this forum and ban in totality it would be any mention of Pataks. As the single biggest killer of the true BIR flavour from yesteryear it rankles me greatly to see them promoted in even the smallest way. Grrrrr!  ;D

Actually I really rate their pickles but I'm not going to let that curry any favour with me.

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 10:03 AM »
You know, if there was one subject I could take control of on this forum and ban in totality it would be any mention of Pataks. As the single biggest killer of the true BIR flavour from yesteryear it rankles me greatly to see them promoted in even the smallest way. Grrrrr!  ;D

Actually I really rate their pickles but I'm not going to let that curry any favour with me.

Hear Hear

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 10:33 AM »
My view is that it is important to be open-minded about all ideas; if someone achieves success using a Patak's product, let he or she share tjheir success so that others can try to emulate it if they wish.  Patak's products are not evil, they are simply commercial versions of pastes (etc) that every Indian housewife would have made for herself in the past; preservatives are not evil, they are a useful adjunct in our modern lifestyle, and if a product can have a shelf life of (say) six months with preservative, or six days without, and still taste the same, then let us not rule it out simply because it contains "chemicals".  Everything that we eat/drink/respire contains chemicals, and we ourselves are made of chemicals; it can, I suggest, be useful to remind ourselves of that from time to time.  Read the late Jack Pridham's Chemophilia for an refreshing perspective on this from a very well informed and respected academic.

** Phil.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 10:48 AM »
I've Just bought some Bengali Bob.  It says 'Tandoori Marinade' on this label, but there was a mixture of both on the shelf. Tried the Punjabi Makhani paste when it came out and found it like smoked paprika in loads of oil. Could easily botch everyone's dinner with this. Recently tried the Hariyali paste(intro price

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 10:20 AM »
Hi

What was the % of tamarind in the paste that Blade suggested? This new jar I believe has 8% tamarind.

Might have to revert to Mickdabass tikka recipe with no pastes?! Which is great by the way!!

Ed

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Found an old empty tandoori paste jar of (tamarind and ginger) and it 22 per cent tamarind compared to the new jar at 8 per cent so when i made CTM for 16 this weekend i used Mickdabass instead of Blades and i must say it was excellent, its not the first time i have made it but now maybe my preferred choice due to the paste situation

Ed

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 11:20 AM »
Hi Guys

I too cant find this older version of Tandoori paste anymore, the new jar states Mild on it, i wonder if the other is classed as stronger?

If Blade is still on the forum what would he recommend to do?

Ed

©2024 Curry Recipes