Author Topic: Curried Aways Lamb/Chicken staff curry  (Read 19484 times)

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curried Aways Lamb/Chicken staff curry
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 02:23 PM »
Sorry fellows l'm going to have to disagree
It's more or less the same ingredients but cooked slowly
you should get a perfectly good curry
I suggest someone's technique is letting them down

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 02:58 PM »
there was no hint of fenugreek which is a glaring omission from my point of view, also the seeds from tomatoes can be very bitter also - don't think its anything to do with cooking technique

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 03:18 PM »
It's more or less the same ingredients but cooked slowly
you should get a perfectly good curry

I agree it probably produces a good curry but, like SS suggested, it leans more towards traditional cooking than BIR recipes. I see the main difference here being the addition of quite a lot of raw poultry or meat. It means that a lot of juices and fat will go into the sauce, which should be a good thing, but it's not BIR.

I look forward to trying this recipe, for sure, and I'm grateful to Adey for sharing it with us.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 03:52 PM »
If you don't get the whole spices to release their flavours
And you don't cook those onions right down so the oil separates and get the sweetness
The same applies to the tomatoes ginger and garlic then cook the powdered spices
If you don't get your timings right and at the end there is no oil release then I would say an average curry
MT

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 04:01 PM »
It's a staff curry - who said it's purely BIR?

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 10:29 PM »
I reckon if you can't get a decent curry from this recipe then you ain't much of a cook. All the ingredients are here, why shouldn't you make it work?  ???

Cheers,
Ken

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 11:31 AM »
I will try this but I won't be adding so much butter.  In my opinion, Staff curries knock the spots off BIR curries.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 01:05 PM »
I will try this but I won't be adding so much butter. 

It won't be this recipe you're trying then, will it? Before you order ANY dish in a BIR, do you ask for a run down of ingredients and quantities so you can ask them to cut back on any ingredient you don't think you'd like? I'm not trying to be funny or rude, but it must be the logical extension of your comment.

Also, how many staff curries have you tried and were they cooked by you or eaten in a BIR? If served by a BIR, did you ask them to cut back on any ingredients?

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Think I'll have a go at this one too.  Not sure about the panch phoran.

Rob  :)

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 02:53 PM »
I will try this but I won't be adding so much butter. 

It won't be this recipe you're trying then, will it? Before you order ANY dish in a BIR, do you ask for a run down of ingredients and quantities so you can ask them to cut back on any ingredient you don't think you'd like? I'm not trying to be funny or rude, but it must be the logical extension of your comment.

Also, how many staff curries have you tried and were they cooked by you or eaten in a BIR? If served by a BIR, did you ask them to cut back on any ingredients?

You are correct.  It won't be exactly the same.  I only want to cut back on the butter for health reasons.  I dodn't want to make a big issue out of it.

I've tried a number of staff curries; chicken, lamb and fish.  I did have a go at cooking a couple myself and not I didn't hask them to cut back on any ingredients.  However, when I cook them at home, I dont' add quite as much salt of chilli powder.  Again, for health reasons and some family members can't take a very hot curry.

©2024 Curry Recipes