Author Topic: Inconsistent base: sometimes too dark and sweet  (Read 4191 times)

Offline ajb225

• Chef
    • View Profile
Inconsistent base: sometimes too dark and sweet
« on: March 12, 2014, 11:54 AM »
Hi all,

I sometimes find a batch of base can turn too dark and sweet after a few hours or a day. I presume this is because of my low skill level, as a good chef produces consistent results. However can anyone enlighten me as to why a base that is nicely spiced, golden yellow in colour and mellow in taste could turn into a reddish brown and overly sweet concoction overnight?

My first guess is that the base is over cooked, but I have found that sometimes a freshly cooked base left to cool is excellent, then a few hours later it tastes like a bag of sugar has been poured into the batch along with a very dramatic colour change?

Thanks,
Andrew

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Inconsistent base: sometimes too dark and sweet
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 01:08 PM »
Very very odd.  I have not experienced this phenomenon, nor can I explain it.  I hope someone else has and/or can.
** Phil.

Offline ajb225

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 01:32 PM »
I know its not something I have come across with any other cooking i have done, I must point out though that the house I have recently moved in to had induction (dont laugh!!! not my choice, the previous occupant paid to have this piece of garbage installed!!!)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 01:41 PM »
I wonder if its caused by the onions caramelising?

Regards

Mick

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:51 PM »
the house I have recently moved in to had induction (dont laugh!!! not my choice, the previous occupant paid to have this piece of garbage installed!!!)

Ive got an induction hob and I think its ok. I cant imagine your problem has got anything to do with the hob.
Some people use sugar to try and get the sweetness into their curries!!!
How long have you had the gravy cooking for?
Which recipe did you use?
Did you tweak the recipe at all?

Regards

Mick

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 05:10 AM »
Hi all,

I sometimes find a batch of base can turn too dark and sweet after a few hours or a day. I presume this is because of my low skill level, as a good chef produces consistent results. However can anyone enlighten me as to why a base that is nicely spiced, golden yellow in colour and mellow in taste could turn into a reddish brown and overly sweet concoction overnight?

My first guess is that the base is over cooked, but I have found that sometimes a freshly cooked base left to cool is excellent, then a few hours later it tastes like a bag of sugar has been poured into the batch along with a very dramatic colour change?

Thanks,
Andrew

You say the base tastes different the longer you leave it but is there any difference in taste in the finished dish? I would have thought (to an extent of course) the sweetness from the onions could produce a better curry.

Also presuming your not having curry every night for days on end (although I reckon some on here must do!) Why not use what you want when it's freshly made and then quickly portion the rest off into plastic takeaway containers and freeze it for later currying sessions. Just a thought but maybe this could prevent it from "turning"?

Mike

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 07:09 AM »
When I make mine I keep one portion in the fridge and  then the rest I freeze in portions in plastic pots and they keep really well. Always tasting the same as the last defrosted lot. I would recommend that too.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 11:37 AM »
Hi
Just sounds like your overcooking, but you should explain which base and method you are using.
Garabi is naturally sweet, too sweet sometimes, also natural for it to darken a few shades, over time.

Offline ajb225

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 12:59 AM »
Thanks a lot guys

I think it could be down to the overcooking of the onions, I often switch base recipes to explore new things, the last two I have been cooking are admins and CBM Little curry house

Im thinking it could also be down to the individual onions I use? Maybe the particular bag can sometimes have stronger/sweeter or milder onions>

I might get a few pictures of failures and successes together so everyone can see

Thanks again

©2024 Curry Recipes