Author Topic: CA's Chicken Ceylon  (Read 10570 times)

Offline CurryLover_NZ

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: My Chicken Ceylon
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 06:00 PM »
Darth,

I was looking for Cory Ander's Chicken Ceylon recipe - bu it has yet to be posted  :'(

It's a new one on me but I'd like to give it a go - what sets it apart from other dishes ?

Sounds like it might be a bit on the hot side !

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 06:11 PM »
Here is a recipe for Ceylon Garam Masala.  I reckon if you add this to one of the popular cuury bases you will be on the right road; it is hot.  I would add (and do) fine grated coconut or coconut powder and some milk (not cream or yoghurt) to the base first.  The resultant sauce should not be too thick!

CP

CEYLON CURRY POWDER:
In Sri Lankan cooking, one of the main characteristics is that the spices are dark roasted.

This makes 4-6 tablespoons
Ingredients

1 cup    coriander seeds
1/2 cup    cumin seeds
1 tblsp   fennel seeds
1 tsp    fenugreek seeds
1    cinnamon stick
1 tsp   whole cloves
1 tsp   cardamom seeds
2 tblsp   dried curry leaves
3    Dried red chillies

Method - Ceylon Curry Powder:
In a dry pan over low heat roast SEPARATELY the coriander, cumin, fennel and fenugreek. Stir each spice constantly until they become a dark brown colour.
When cool, place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until combined.

Store the powder in an airtight jar in a dark area.

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 06:41 PM »
Waiting in anticipation for this recipe ....looks like another good one !

CC

Offline Woks Up

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 06:14 AM »
I was looking for Cory Ander's Chicken Ceylon recipe....what sets it apart from other dishes ?
Sounds like it might be a bit on the hot side!

Hi Curry Lover. 

As far as I'm aware, a typical BIR "ceylon" type curry is a basic medium curry (eg "bhoona") that's made hotter (chilli), sourer (lemon juice or tamarind) and more coconutty (um...coconut! - in form of powder, milk or cream) and slighty creamier (coconut milk, milk or cream).  I'm sure Cory can confirm?

If you've been making Darth's madras anyway, why not try and convert it to a ceyon by simply adding some lemon juice (say a tbsp of fresh or bottled stuff) and coconut cream (say a few tbsp of the thickish tinned stuff) and maybe a tbsp of cream and/or a little milk?

Of course, you can make it as hot or as sour or as coconutty (or the sauce as thick or thin) as you like by simply adding more or less of the various ingredients.

There's a little more information (but not much more) on a ceylon type curry in this thread http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=931.msg8234#msg8234
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 06:27 AM by Woks Up »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 10:28 AM »
There is also a recipe in the traditional curry topics

CP

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 09:02 AM »
Hi All,

Woks Up is pretty much spot on there!  8)

I took a Curry Base (my own, but any decent one will do) and made a BIR style Vindaloo sauce (this is why it was a little hot CL!  But a Madras - or even a milder sauce - will do if you want it less hot of course).  I also added 1/2 tsp tamarind puree to make the sauce a little sour.

I then used the Vindaloo sauce to make a BIR style Ceylon (enough for about 2 people) by:

• frying 2 tsp of fresh garlic puree and 1 tsp fresh ginger garlic puree in about 100ml or so of vegetable oil
  • adding and frying 1tsp coriander power and 1tsp of cumin powder
  • adding and frying about 750g of raw chopped chicken breasts, until white all over
  • gradually adding about 400ml of Vindaloo sauce
  • adding 2 tbsp tinned coconut cream, 1 tbsp tomato sauce, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp lemon juice and a handful of chopped coriander just prior to serving

I realise this information is a little scant; I didn't intend to post the recipe in this thread, so I have provided the "bare-bones" only. 

I'm happy to write and post the full recipe if people wish me to?

CL - as Woks Up suggests, you could simply take Darth's Madras and add the coconut cream and lemon juice (and tomato sauce, sugar and coriander, if you wish) to make a perfectly acceptable medium hot BIR Ceylon type curry.

Regards,  :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 11:28 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 10:34 AM »
I found some guidelines on your pilau rice but essentials like spicing were not included.

You're absolutely right George!  Similarly, I did not intend my post to be a recipe, merely an outline to indicate the cooking process. 

And, similarly, I am happy to write a more detailed recipe, and post it in the recipe section, if people wish?

Regards  :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 10:38 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 05:09 AM »
....I found some guidelines on your pilau rice but essentials like spicing were not included.....

Hi George/CL_NZ,

I've now posted my recipe for Pilau Rice here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1383.0

Please let me know what you think if you try it! 8)

Regards,
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 05:12 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 02:05 PM »
;D ;D Yet another triumph Cory, It looks superb, Unfortunately because of my allergy to coconut my taste buds will never be able to savour every mouthfull. But well done all the same

©2024 Curry Recipes