Author Topic: Munchies, Mansfield Road, Nottingham  (Read 8946 times)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Munchies, Mansfield Road, Nottingham
« on: March 30, 2014, 09:44 AM »
You can eat in at Munchies, Mansfield Road, Nottingham or take out
I wouldn't bother doing either again
I'm a little late writing this up as it happened a week ago
I bought three curries from there
Vindaloo, Madras and Vindaloo and they were so dull, it was unbelievable
We never even finished them
Bland and tasteless
I can cook far above this standard, and I don't think I'm good enough
The vegetables used were from a pack of "frozen vegetables"
I reckon it was a cheap one, as well (Adsa smart price maybe?)
You can tell by the baby carrots, and bits of corn in it
A waste of money, never going there again

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Munchies, Mansfield Road, Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 11:37 AM »
As in the previous post haldi I have to say my experience is that this kind of thing is becoming more and more common, it sometimes feels like rather than up their game and produce better food which they could charge more for, they are going for cheap, which doesn't end up being cheerful - more like nasty.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 01:32 PM »
As in the previous post haldi I have to say my experience is that this kind of thing is becoming more and more common, it sometimes feels like rather than up their game and produce better food which they could charge more for...

Most of the BIR dishes I've had from about half a dozen places in 2014 have been like that - relatively tasteless. These restaurants were highly rated in web reviews, too, and seemed to be popular. My conclusion is that the trade has lost the plot and I'm more or less finished with them. How can I continue wasting money on an industry which offers such junk? I'd get more enjoyment from buying a Big Mac, a donner kebab or something else.

I tend to disagree about the pricing. As food quality has gone down, their prices have gone up. It's a further disincentive.

Another factor is that anyone can publish a book with recipes matching this new, low standard.

Good places undoubtedly still exist but it's too expensive and time-consuming to find them. And, even then, there's a consistency problem when tastes may not always be so good, from one day to the next.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 02:48 PM »
I'd get more enjoyment from buying a Big Mac ...

Come come, George; had you written a Bacon Double Cheeseburger XL I might have believed you, but surely not a Big Mac ?!  All other points perfectly valid.

** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 05:08 PM »
I think you guys are being a little unkind regarding dropping standards. My local TA's have been consistently pish since I moved here 

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 05:19 PM »
My local TA's have been consistently pish since I moved here

They probably reserve their worst fare for incomers, Garp :)   Stay there for thirty years, and things may significantly improve.  I think that the staff in the L... R..... are now actually beginning to notice when I appear to be dying of thirst, whereas when we moved in five years ago I was regularly lifted off by air-ambulance suffering from near-terminal dehydration.

** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 05:31 PM »
I think you guys are being a little unkind regarding dropping standards. My local TA's have been consistently pish since I moved here

;D :) :D

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Reckon a lot of TA owners have tried a Big Mac and thought, well, if people can eat this bilge they ain't too fussy.  Thus, instructions to chef. Bilge, is the order of the day. Serve it up.

Rob  :)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 07:07 PM »
My local TA's have been consistently pish since I moved here

They probably reserve their worst fare for incomers, Garp :)   Stay there for thirty years, and things may significantly improve.  I think that the staff in the L... R..... are now actually beginning to notice when I appear to be dying of thirst, whereas when we moved in five years ago I was regularly lifted off by air-ambulance suffering from near-terminal dehydration.

** Phil.

That's amusing, Phil. I moved from central Scotland to the South West 22 years ago. To be honest, I do the local TA's an injustice - just wanted to use the word 'pish' (inspired by SL's 'Guns and Roses' thingy).

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 07:10 PM »
I feel for you guys, I have a brilliant indian rest in Glasgow called The Punjabi @ charing cross, always top notch

©2024 Curry Recipes