Author Topic: Today's dinner  (Read 6216 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Today's dinner
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:42 PM »
Good looking food there jb.  Naans and tikka look spot on.  Shame about the sheeks  :-\  Never had a problem with keeping mine on the skewers.  Think you're right about the onion as it probably released  some moisture into the mix.  I use only a heaped TBS of finely chopped onion in my recipe which is very similar to razors.  I find this mimics and surpasses any sheeks around here  ::)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 03:15 PM »
Hi JB
Are you sure you are getting your tandoor hot enough? I use firelighters to light my tandoor. They do leave a bit of soot on the inside. Once the tandoor is up to temp though, the soot appears to turn to ash. I always wipe down the inside of the tandoor before I try and stick a naan onto it (Welding glove essential lol). If I don't, the first one invariably drops off. I don't apply any water to the naans to make them stick either. If I do, I have a hell of a job to remove them.

With regard the kebabs, I use my keema mix straight away and don't even bother putting a piece of potato on the bottom of the skewer anymore. I made twelve the other day and only nearly lost one. If I do put it in the fridge overnight, I put it in a bowl but sit the mince on a small metal frame that you can cook a joint of meat on - don't know what they're called. I supose you could use a colander. Its suprising how much liquid comes out.

Another thing to consider is the technique you use to put the meat on the skewer. I found that if you flatten the meat into a "patty" and then wrap it around the skewer, it quite often mysteriously unwraps itself as it cooks and falls to an untimely end. What I do is fashion a very rough "dog turd" shape and then slide it onto the skewer; squeezing and stretching to the required size when in place.

Regards

Mick

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Hi JB
Are you sure you are getting your tandoor hot enough? I use firelighters to light my tandoor. They do leave a bit of soot on the inside. Once the tandoor is up to temp though, the soot appears to turn to ash. I always wipe down the inside of the tandoor before I try and stick a naan onto it (Welding glove essential lol). If I don't, the first one invariably drops off. I don't apply any water to the naans to make them stick either. If I do, I have a hell of a job to remove them.

With regard the kebabs, I use my keema mix straight away and don't even bother putting a piece of potato on the bottom of the skewer anymore. I made twelve the other day and only nearly lost one. If I do put it in the fridge overnight, I put it in a bowl but sit the mince on a small metal frame that you can cook a joint of meat on - don't know what they're called. I supose you could use a colander. Its suprising how much liquid comes out.

Another thing to consider is the technique you use to put the meat on the skewer. I found that if you flatten the meat into a "patty" and then wrap it around the skewer, it quite often mysteriously unwraps itself as it cooks and falls to an untimely end. What I do is fashion a very rough "dog turd" shape and then slide it onto the skewer; squeezing and stretching to the required size when in place.

Regards

Mick

Thanks for the tips,I'm pretty sure it was hot enough,if anything with the new restaurant charcoal it seemed to get even hotter than usual.A good tip as well regarding the water.I've always put some water on as per just about every BIR video I've seen,but they do seem to stick a little.

©2024 Curry Recipes