Author Topic: Undercover Curry Demo/Promo Videos  (Read 11123 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry Demo/Promo Videos
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 10:27 PM »
I repeated them, George, because (a) I meant them, and (b) I am not in the least apologetic for using them.  I self-moderated the latter in deference to your refined sensibilities and those of any other forum member who might find the un-moderated form offensive.  I would far sooner be banned from the forum than allow blatant exploitation of an animal's suffering to pass without comment.

** Phil.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 11:47 PM »
I would far sooner be banned from the forum than allow blatant exploitation of an animal's suffering to pass without comment.

I'm surprised to hear you say that, but it's the risk you take. I can't recall another case of any member re-writing words which I've moderated out. If anyone thinks I get it wrong, then they could appeal to Admin. The forum rules say you must not use such words. I'm not aware that DL is a member here but it makes no difference. At worst, your insult lays the forum open to a legal risk.

You are not in a position to influence events like that in far way places. I agree it's appalling and I wonder what sort of sick mind the person hurting the animal has, but I still see it as wrong to aim your two words at DL.

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 12:11 PM »
So what was the point of showing the killing 3 times ?

At this stage I don't see how this killing has anything to do with BIR cooking and his book.
It more about hurting and killing I would say.

Please consider not posting anymore videos from this DL guy.
I also hope admin considers removing it.

Graeme.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 12:34 PM »
So what was the point of showing the killing 3 times ?
At this stage I don't see how this killing has anything to do with BIR cooking and his book.
It more about hurting and killing I would say.
Please consider not posting anymore videos from this DL guy.
I also hope admin considers removing it.

I've seen similar editing in films before. I think one was alternatiing between some carnage in a bull fight, and a more gentle scene. The contrast was stark, and used for 'artistic' effect, I guess. I assume that's what DL was doing but perhaps he underestimated how many people woule be offended. First, we have Phil, who had hundreds of acceptable words to choose from, to express his feelings, but he prefers to use words which he knows break forum rules, even though the animal was killed long ago. He stirs up trouble on the forum and puts me in a difficult position. Why? It's not the fault of this forum, or even DL in my opinion.

Long houses or the idyllic locations used by Rick Stein don't have mich to do with cooking either but they make the videos/progs a lot more intereting, in my opinion.

Graeme - do you prefer to be wrapped in cotton wool and protected from such scenes? What is it, exactly, that upsets you so much? That's life in the Far East. Have you ever been there, a bit off the normal tourist trail? I've often recommended that as many people as possible travel to India to taste the incredible food. But don't go if those scenes really trouble you, because you're likely to see a lot worse than that.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 01:33 PM »
I assume that's what DL was doing but perhaps he underestimated how many people woule be offended. First, we have Phil, who had hundreds of acceptable words to choose from, to express his feelings, but he prefers to use words which he knows break forum rules, even though the animal was killed long ago.

I used, George, the exact words that would reflect my feelings most accurately.  If you feel that they are in breach of forum rules, then could you please (a) quote the exact rule(s) to which you refer (I have been unable to find the rules post-registration; perhaps you know where they are), and (b) tell me why, in your opinion, the phrase I used was unacceptable while "shite" (which occurs at least 30 times in other threads, including in such potentially libellous contexts as "his brother is head chef at the shite ping pong dim sum in london") is acceptable ?  And acceptable it must be, since you have elected not to moderate any of these 30 or so occurrences.  I would also point out that the phrase I used may be found in (e.g.,) "The Guardian", "The Telegraph", and "The Independent".  The language may be unparliamentary, but it is clearly acceptable in other contexts.

He stirs up trouble on the forum and puts me in a difficult position. Why? It's not the fault of this forum, or even DL in my opinion.

No, George, I am /not/ stirring up trouble.  I am condemning the actions of a putative BIR chef who is willing to exploit the suffering of an innocent animal in order to promote his video/book.

That's life in the Far East. Have you ever been there, a bit off the normal tourist trail? I've often recommended that as many people as possible travel to India to taste the incredible food. But don't go if those scenes really trouble you, because you're likely to see a lot worse than that.

I have been to the Far East, George, and some of the things I have seen have made me sick to the stomach :  live pigs being weighed by being hung upside-down by their crossed legs tied over a square wooden beam, screaming in pain (Lao Cai, Viet Nam); turtles tied to the top of a steamer, waiting to be steamed alive (Wu Han, China); dogs being transported on the back of a bicycle in a wicker carrier (12 or more dogs in one basket) on their way to a restaurant where they may well be boiled alive (Ha Noi, Viet Nam); a live hen being carried home from market tied (like the pigs) with her crossed legs over the handlebar of a bicycle (Lao Cai,  Viet Nam).  I saw these things because I was there, and I moved away from each as fast as I possibly could.  I do /not/ need to see similar scenes in a video that is not a documentary about cruelty to animals but is instead intended to portray the preparation of curries.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:04 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 03:16 PM »
At worst, your insult lays the forum open to a legal risk.

With all due respect, George, I would say that this forum is more at risk, legally, from the posting of links to copyrighted material, which seems to be tolerated, if not encouraged.

I haven't watched the DL video - nor do I intend to, after hearing the comments posted about it. I'm a relative newcomer to this forum and, when I first joined, I thought Phil was a bit of a 'dick' (feel free to moderate). I also thought he talked a lot of 'shite' (again, feel free to moderate). But as my relationship with CRO has evolved, I have come to respect what Phil says more (he still talks shite sometimes, but I don't think there is malice intended  :))

I don't recall Phil using such phrases previously, therefore I assume that the content of the video is pretty unpleasant - especially considering that Phil has travelled in the area, and seen some things that most people here would find grotesque.

Just my thoughts...........and can I just say..................

(moderated)!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:05 AM by George »

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 03:30 PM »
NO Garp you can't say (moderated) but you can say (moderated) ;D
And that video should have some kind of WARNING at the start. It's disgusting. and I totally agree with Phil's Ccomments

Les
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:34 AM by George »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Thank you for that clarification, Les. That should keep George busy for a while :)

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Well, that's 1 ebook i'll not be even taking for free, let alone paying for it.

The author is so far up his own arse he can't see for the sh!t he's promoting.

Unnecessary suffering of any animal (or human) is bad enough to witness but by showing that clip 3 times tells me the author has no remorse for such actions.
I have never tasted lobster as 90% of the time they are cooked live and its not something I could support.

I have also traveled in India and seen caged chickens on the roadside have their necks broke and butchered 'while you wait' etc but I accept that this is thier way of life. DL is using such an act as a marketing tool which I do not condone.

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Well said Geezah and others.

George, Ok I understand what your saying.

©2024 Curry Recipes