Author Topic: Vindaloo  (Read 5601 times)

Offline toddk63

• Chef
    • View Profile
Vindaloo
« on: April 27, 2014, 04:30 PM »
Here is my version I have been tweaking for a few years.  It originated from a Julie Sahni recipe.  Last year I applied some tips from Tayyabs in Whitechappel (my favorite BIR). Recipe attached. Link to photo album below.  These pics are from a previous batch.  I have since changed the order of a few things around, but this album still gives a good representation of the process.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.403612206316737.100752.100000038825169&type=1&l=8ce2c91a82

Cheers,

Todd K.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Vindaloo
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 07:43 PM »
nice post Todd and a welcome change from the usual recipes on the forum.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Nice post. I must take more photos of my cooking!

I use the Ma Goa recipe for Vindaloo. It is not ring-stinging hot but has a nice flavour. I got the recipe from Capital Spice, a great book for curry cooks

Goan Pork Vindaloo from Ma Goa

In Goan cookery you keep some fat on the meat because it adds so much to the flavour. Marinating in the vinegar and spices overnight is very important, followed by a quick braise to cook the spices, then slow cooking until tender. Adjust the seasoning just before serving, as the intensity of the spices changes during cooking. It is not supposed to be searing lay hot, but to have a vinegar-chilli kick, plus the roasted spices. This is best the next day, because this is the pickling process.

Serves 4

500g pork shoulder, cubed
Vegetable oil, for frying
2 onions, finely sliced
1 tablespoon grated ginger
160g tomatoes, chopped
Salt

For the vindaloo spice paste
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon whole cloves
6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
4 black cardamom pods, seeds only
2 x 5-cm cinnamon sticks
8-10 dried Kashmiri chillies ( or 5 regular dried red chillies)
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
120ml white wine vinegar
Salt

Soak the ingredients for the spice paste in the vinegar in a large non- metallic bowl and set aside for 2-3 hours, then transfer to a blender or spice grinder and grind to a smooth paste, add the pork, stir to coat in the marinade, then cover and refrigerate overnight.

Add oil to a large flameproof casserole dish, using enough to cover the base. Add the onions and fry over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until they are soft and light brown in colour. Add the grated ginger. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add the pork and the spice paste and fry in the oil, stirring frequently until the oil separates from the spice mixture. This should take about 8-10 minutes. You can add a splashes of water to the dish if the spices begin to burn, but be careful with the quantity as you don't want to boil the spices-they should be fried.

Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add 240ml boiling water, cover and cook over a medium heat for 45 minutes; check and stir every 15 minutes.

Adjust salt, chilli and vinegar if necessary. Cook, uncovered, for another 5-10 minutes until the sauce thickens and the pork is tender.

Serve with plain boiled rice.

This is even better reheated the next day - add a dash of vinegar to give the flavour a bit of an edge. For a variation garnish with roasted cashew nuts and more fried onions.

Offline toddk63

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 07:51 PM »
I just updated this recipe (attached).  The main change is to make sure the mustard oil gets heated to smoking before anything else is added.  Also increased the amount of asofetida.  I don't fear it anymore if it is properly bhunna'd.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 01:56 PM by toddk63 »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 07:20 PM »
toddk63,

many thanks for posting the txt file (which i almost did not see).

i must admit i'm stuck in BIR. i do realise though that there is much to learn from the traditional though and will have a real good digest.

the other interest being that the effort that goes into BIR makes a sort of 1 pot dish quite useful for when the mood takes.

many thanks.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 10:34 AM »
i did try this but got into a lot of difficulty through my own blinkers.

am well pleased i gave it a try and anyone who gels with traditional am sure would fit well.

in short i took too many ingredients out and got into difficulty getting the balance in trying to make a quarter portion.

can add a few picks if needed.

the key thing for me was the learning - i want to transfer into making an equivalent BIR sauce.

am very grateful to toddk63 for posting - enjoyed following the impressive instructions

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 11:31 AM »
Here is my version I have been tweaking for a few years.  It originated from a Julie Sahni recipe.  Last year I applied some tips from Tayyabs in Whitechappel (my favorite BIR). Recipe attached. Link to photo album below.  These pics are from a previous batch.  I have since changed the order of a few things around, but this album still gives a good representation of the process.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.403612206316737.100752.100000038825169&type=1&l=8ce2c91a82

Cheers,

Todd K.

You had their mixed grill?  :-* Mmmm!

©2024 Curry Recipes