Author Topic: Help me choose a mixer/grinder!  (Read 5527 times)

Offline Bob_McBob

• Chef
    • View Profile
Help me choose a mixer/grinder!
« on: October 29, 2006, 01:08 AM »
Hi guys, I've been looking for somewhere where I might get more information on Indian "mixie" mixer/grinders. Hopefully there are a few people posting here who have used them :)

At the end of July, I ordered a Sumeet "Asia Kitchen Machine" from the North American distributor at sumeet.net.  They are actually only about an hour from me here in Ontario, so I assumed things would go fairly smoothly.  I was promised delivery in a few weeks, then at the beginning of September, end of September, and beginning of October. Now they are no longer replying to e-mail or answering their phone.  I know they're still around since their phone message changes now and then, but it is often forwarded to a voice mail system that is regularly full (of complaints, no doubt).  I have left a couple of messages and they never call me back.  Anyhow, it is not looking promising.  Unfortunately, the Asia Kitchen Machine seems to be out of stock pretty much everywhere in North America, and everywhere has been expecting stock "in a few weeks" for the past three months.

When I originally started looking for an Indian mixer/grinder, I decided the Sumeet was probably the best for my needs.  I cook a lot of Indian food, and I need to be able to grind anything from a few teaspoons of dry spices to large quantities of wet nut pastes and things like that.  I like how the Sumeet has the stirring lid on even the small spice grinder.  However, if I can't buy it, then it's not much good to me.  I've been looking around on Google and found posts dating back a couple of years detailing how poor Sumeet's customer service is: waiting six months for replacement parts, poor warranty service, mixers breaking down after only a year, etc.  I heard from someone's Indian wife that they apparently have a bad reputation in India now as they recently switched motor manufacturers to someone cheaper.  Apparently it is hard to get them even in India. Given how poor Sumeet's *pre-sale* customer service is, I don't fancy my chances if anything went wrong with the mixer.

Anyhow, I just started going through the alternatives available in North America.  I was told by the same person's wife that of all the brands available in North America (Sumeet, Premier, Preethi, Butterfly, Innomix, Relin, etc.), the only one with a good reputation in India is Rico.  Unfortunately, they don't really have much of a presence in North America, with only a single place (in Texas) stocking them.  That is a bit concerning as I don't know what I would do if anything went wrong.  Their mixers do look good, though.

The other option I've been considering is the Relin "Megamix" model. Relin, like Sumeet, has made a serious effort to enter the North American market.  They have obtained the correct Canadian safety approval, and their distributor is also only about an hour from me here in Ontario.  They have been extremely good about replying to e-mails and answering their phone.  They tell me they have their model in stock and available for immediate shipping, so I could have it by Tuesday if I ordered now.  However, I can't find anything about their Megamix model, even on Usenet.  They seem to be a fairly new company by Indian standards (early 80s), and I don't know if they have a decent reputation for quality.

So, based on everything I've written, what do you think I should do? The Rico model is actually $30 cheaper than the Relin, but I would have to either pay $40 to have it shipped here, or have it shipped to my dad when he is down in the States next week.  Is it worth the extra hassle over the Relin model, especially considering Rico has no actual presence in North America and Relin has a distributor right by me?

I hope someone here can help me out.  If not, I would really appreciate if you could direct me to another newsgroup, forum, etc.  The question is somewhat time-sensitive as the Relin model is apparently "on special" until the end of the weekend.  Please check out the links below for more info.

Sumeet: http://sumeet.net/Models/ModelsNew.htm
Rico: http://appliances.safeshopper.com/150/1367.htm?710
Relin: http://www.relin.com/item1.htm

Thanks so much!

Offline Bob_McBob

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Help me choose a mixer/grinder!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 09:25 AM »
Anyone?  I suppose my main concern is the reliability of the Relin model...

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 10:41 AM »
Bob  I have just posted an extensive reply about grinders and mills under the Spices section in hints and tips.  You need to look for a Burr or Burh mill if you don't want a blade grinder.  Get back to me if you can't find sufficient information.  I will say that the US and India seem to be thonly places that make these mills for home use.
Cheers
CP

Offline Bob_McBob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 08:02 PM »
Thanks, I just read through that, but I've already covered it unfortunately.  I own several mortar and pestles, but not a "granite slab and roller" type grinder, which is unfortunately completely unavailable here in Canada (plus, can you imagine the shipping costs on a huge granite slab? :o).  I do use a burr grinder for coffee (another hobby...), but it wouldn't be appropriate for wet grinding as well as grinding small quantities.

I was pretty happy when I originally saw these "mixie" mixer/grinders, because they look like they could really do a good job with wet pastes and spices, especially in smaller quantities.  I have a food processor and blender, and I use them a lot when cooking, but neither will do small quantities, and they both require lots of added water.  Plus, they don't really make smooth pastes...

I would be happily using the Sumeet machine if they had ever sent me one.  I am giving up on them and looking at the Rico and Relin alternatives, but the problem is that I really don't know anything about Relin, and Rico only exists in North America as a single electronics shop in Texas.  I am really leaning towards the Relin, but I don't want to find out I bough the worst mixer in India or something ;)

Chris

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 08:29 PM »
Hi Chris ,

I have a friend that uses a Premier Wonder "Mixie Size " Grinder and loves it .

http://www.hotdishes.com/premierwondergrinder.htm

CC
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 09:02 PM by CurryCanuck »

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile

Offline Bob_McBob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 03:17 AM »
I am pretty set on the "mixie" type mixer/grinder, it's just that there is almost no information whatsoever available on the internet.

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 10:24 AM »
Bob, the granite slabs etc,. come in different sizes.  I am not sure where you live but I do know you can get them in Canada from Asian retail stores (Vancouver), because a Chinese acquaintance got one.

Good luck CP

Offline Bob_McBob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 10:56 AM »
I think I will just order the Relin, I'm sure it can't be that bad.  Now just wait a few days for me to come back tearing my hair out ;)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 11:04 AM »
See my new post in curry talk Bob.  I think this is a US operation with outlets in UK, so an email from you should verify that.  Don't get frustrated, there is no such thing as a wet and dry burr grinder as far as I know, but my suggestion may solve your problem.

CP 

©2024 Curry Recipes