Author Topic: Using the Glasgow Base Sauce  (Read 15589 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Using the Glasgow Base Sauce
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 10:08 PM »
So what's the top-level domain going to be for Scotland once you've gained independence from the rest of the U.K. ?! 

** Phil.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:47 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 10:11 PM »
As a Jambo, I did find the Accies win very amusing

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 10:46 PM »
So what's the top-level domain going to be for Scotland once you've gained independence from the rest of the U.K. ?!  ".hi" is still unallocated, if you wanted to use Hibernia as the full form ...

** Phil.

Phil I imagine it will be plain "sc"?

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 10:48 PM »
As a Jambo, I did find the Accies win very amusing

Potentially the more interesting league will be the championship

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Sorry, my "Hibernia" reference was crazy (I just deleted it); I always confuse the old name for Ireland ("Hibernia") with the old name for Scotland ("Caledonia").  But ".sc" is already gone (.sc    country-code    VCS Pty Ltd [Seychelles]), as are all the sensible derivatives of Caledonia ...

** Phil.

Offline HeehawBaws

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 07:53 AM »
.alba?

I have already frozen a portion of Glasgow Korma, a litre of Glasgow Madras and a litre of weird hybrid Bhunana experiment.

My neighbour also got a big bag of Madras and said he would pay good money for more like it.

Offline HeehawBaws

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 07:55 AM »
Lol, my autocorrect came up with Bhunana because I made a"Bhunana hammock" joke to someone last week.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 09:25 PM »
Sorry, my "Hibernia" reference was crazy (I just deleted it); I always confuse the old name for Ireland ("Hibernia") with the old name for Scotland ("Caledonia").  But ".sc" is already gone (.sc    country-code    VCS Pty Ltd [Seychelles]), as are all the sensible derivatives of Caledonia ...

** Phil.

I tried to think of an "sc" but couldn't - the plot thickens.

Offline HeehawBaws

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 11:50 PM »
As requested, here is a photo. The buffet warmer is my new toy. A facebook friend offered it for sale for a tenner and I snapped it up.

I spent today with family, putting up a treehouse that my dad made for his grand-weans. He went a bit overboard , though, so picture something a bit like the Amish barn building scene from "Witness".

It was my job to supply the curry buffet, so I put out:

a load of Mick Crawford Pathia;

a mix of many, many frozen Korma experiments (including the Glasgow recipe) that actually blended together nicely;

a Glasgow Madras straight from the "Updated Glasgow Base" recipe. The camera flash has done strange things to the madras. It looks like I've swirled something into it, but that's not what it looked like in real life.

I have to say the Glasgow Madras was spot on. There's a certain smell and taste to the curry sauce from an Indian. I'm talking about the kind of generic curry sauce they always gave me when I bought a Tandoori Mixed Grill. The madras filled the kitchen with that smell - for the first time since I started making my own curries.

It has inspired me to experiment and come up with my own base. One that uses all the onions of the Glasgow base, but not nearly so much oil.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Looks great HHB but possibly the pic is a bit large? ;)

I'm very happy for you that as a beginner you've immediately found success. There's a widespread and self-defeating myth that goes around this place at times that you can't cook BIR at home. I think you're helping to dispel it so all power to your elbow

©2024 Curry Recipes