Author Topic: Curries v. the simpler pleasures of life  (Read 7335 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Curries v. the simpler pleasures of life
« on: June 02, 2014, 12:52 PM »
In our zeal to create the world's best BIR clones, do we, I wonder, sometimes forget (or overlook) the simpler culinary pleasures of life.  I have just returned from the village shop with a freshly-baked French loaf and some tubes of Primula cheese.  And the pleasure I have just experienced in eating some of the former with some of the latter simply cannot be described.  Perfection in an instant, and consummate bliss.  Wonderful !

** Phil.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Curries v. the simpler pleasures of life
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 01:17 PM »
In our zeal to create the world's best BIR clones, do we, I wonder, sometimes forget (or overlook) the simpler culinary pleasures of life.  I have just returned from the village shop with a freshly-baked French loaf and some tubes of Primula cheese.  And the pleasure I have just experienced in eating some of the former with some of the latter simply cannot be described.  Perfection in an instant, and consummate bliss.  Wonderful !

** Phil.

I wouldn't go as far as the primula cheeses but sometimes with regards to a nice french stick or even some freshly baked crusty bread and some butter/pate/cheese can be perfect bliss.

But loving food, there's quite a few things that float my boat with the secret being not often.

And would you credit that, I've just become a Spice God posting about bread.  ???

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 01:24 PM »
I've just become a Spice God

And I declare myself Your first disciple, and vow to spread the Word of Your Incarnation throughout this troubled world, that all may be saved by calling on Your name.

Amen.

P.S.  I think that Primula is seriously under-rated; it is unique, and brings me great pleasure in times of need.  But oh how I yearn for those days of yore when it came wrapped in aluminium foil inside a cardboard box.  It has never been quite the same since its manufacturers started to worship at the altar of the false god Plastic.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:38 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 01:35 PM »
I miss Sunpat spreadable cheese.  :D

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 01:38 PM »
I think that Primula is seriously under-rated; it is unique, and brings me great pleasure in times of need.  But oh how I yearn for those days of yore when it came wrapped in aluminium foil inside a cardboard box.  It has never been quite the same since its manufacturers started to worship at the altar of the false god Plastic.

Been made since the 60's at a factory near to me. We used to buy the squirty cheese and loads of other things from the factory shop. Pineapple Primula (Shrimp if you were posh)on a Ritz cracker. Proper 70's food  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 05:55 PM »
I miss Sunpat spreadable cheese.  :D

Dairylea triangles are my guilty secret!  :-\

I think Phil's right though, a quality hunk of crusty bread paired with a quality cheese is unmatchable for sheer gustatory pleasure if you're in that sort of mood. I love extra crusty French bread but it usually leaves me feeling like I've just chowed down on a box of razor blades.

Coincidentally Phil I just downloaded a couple of cheese making books from that link someone posted a short while back and while cheese making isn't a walk in the park it's apparently not that complicated either. Maintaining a prolonged and stable humidity seems to be the greatest problem. Well, that and locating pasteurised milk which seems a rare commodity these days - though fortunately Sainsbury's still do it and they're just up the road from me.  :)

Raw milk straight from the cow is suggested but I'm more likely to win the lottery than source that. Made me think of my Gran telling me about her youth in Ireland when they'd sneak into the neighbouring farm's cow pasture and drink straight from the cow's teat! That's what you call farm fresh!  :o

Home made Stilton and super-extra matured Cheddar on the (far) horizon I think.  ;D

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Fresh cooked bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar then your talking.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Great post Phil and I have to agree that Primula is such a delight. For me curry is only one part of my interest in food therefore I don't feel I ever get lost in it to the point of excluding everything else. In food terms I hold the following to be amongst my favourite delights:

Scottish strawberries and double cream
freshly baked scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream
Our local butcher's steak pie with mashed tatties
home made vanilla ice cream
cheese on toast
Caramac "chocolate" bars and Gold bar/biscuits

All simple, all yummy

©2024 Curry Recipes