Author Topic: Pots and Pans?  (Read 32959 times)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pots and Pans?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 07:52 PM »
hi guys/gls
just to let you know that the black steel frying pans which Rajver bought for me were from www.eurocatering.co.uk the 10"pan has the longer handle and the 9"pan has slightly deeper sides but both are used in their kitchen! and a bargain ?8.99 and ?7.99 respectfully. once washed you must season with oil to preserve them from rust. haven't used them yet....!

regards
gary

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 08:30 PM »
I use meyer hard anodised (analon) pans 8) They're fantastic- no hot-spots, and absolutely nothing sticks....they're also excellent for heat retention and great for cleaning too 8)they're a tad on the expensive side though, but you can find some decent bargains....I don't have the wok though but they have a special offer on here:-

Just under ?70 for the meyer here:
http://www.pots-and-pans.co.uk/acatalog/Meyer_Anolon_Professional.html

or just shy of ?50 for a 28cm anodised wok from tefal here
http://www.cookware.co.uk/shop/Cookware/T304?ProAnodised/d1/sd70
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 08:45 PM by Domi »

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 09:45 PM »
hay parker thanks for the link... Ive been looking for a good cookware on-line store for ages TA, UB  ;D

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 10:06 AM »
The pans used at a BIR near me are silver coloured
They are about a quarter inch thick metal with pitted marks on the base (the side you cook on)
These don't look like black steel
Apparently these pans are part of the BIR kitchen and are sold on each time the place changes hands.
The pans are at least twenty years old
The handles have been refixed on
Any ideas what these pans are made of?
And can you still buy them?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 05:53 PM »

My first guess would be stainless steel, especially if they are that old and still in good shape.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 06:04 PM »
I use meyer hard anodised (analon) pans 8) They're fantastic- no hot-spots

Thanks Domi. That's good timing as I've been pondering which pan to buy and had settled on a hard anodised one but was stuck for any recommendations.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 06:39 PM »
The pans used at a BIR near me are silver coloured
They are about a quarter inch thick metal with pitted marks on the base (the side you cook on)
These don't look like black steel
Apparently these pans are part of the BIR kitchen and are sold on each time the place changes hands.
The pans are at least twenty years old
The handles have been refixed on
And can you still buy them?

Haldi Do you mean the el cheapo aluminum pan?? riveted handle.. if you do i just got one myself, hold on ill take a pic

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 06:53 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 06:53 PM »
these ones?

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2008, 09:49 AM »
Thanks for the photo Unclebuck. funnily enough I have just explained how I am now using these pans on an other post. I got mine from a Glasgow Asian Store and it has the riveted handle with the wooded grip. They are the same ones used in my local Take Away in Scotland and I have seen them used elsewhere. I have an opportunity fairly soon to get into the kitchen of a well known Glasgow BIR and spend some time with the chefs. I will check out the pan thing there.

I am concerned though that the pans may well be made of aluminium but I only use them for curry and they do the trick with non burning and heat dispersal. Cheers Panpot

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2008, 10:43 AM »
Thanks for the photo Unclebuck. funnily enough I have just explained how I am now using these pans on an other post. I got mine from a Glasgow Asian Store and it has the riveted handle with the wooded grip. They are the same ones used in my local Take Away in Scotland and I have seen them used elsewhere. I have an opportunity fairly soon to get into the kitchen of a well known Glasgow BIR and spend some time with the chefs. I will check out the pan thing there.

I am concerned though that the pans may well be made of aluminium but I only use them for curry and they do the trick with non burning and heat dispersal. Cheers Panpot

Hi panpot.

Theres is something to be said about these style of pans it is most definitely the right pan for the job its a cross between a frying pan and a pot, you can give the curry a real good stir up with out spilling gravy everywhere. This pan would be no good for a 'fry up' I think it would stick but I thought sticking and burning would be a problem for curry dishes but its not i also like the fact the base is the same thickness as the sides so you get even distribution of heat. 1 or 2 portion at a time is max. I have a electric hob but i recon gas would be a lot better with flames lapping the sides.

Cant say its changed the taste of my currys but makes the process easier..
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 11:16 AM by Unclebuck »

©2024 Curry Recipes