Author Topic: Pots and Pans?  (Read 33036 times)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Pots and Pans?
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2008, 12:10 PM »
I have a single portion and a double portion version and your right they just seem to do the business and if the BIRs are using them then their may be something in it.

I also currently use a ceramic hob and they work perfect on it though as I have pointed out on another post I am going to invest in due course in a portable gas ring like JerryM and other devotees. I certainly have witnessed these pans being used in a Take Away with the big power gas rings. They always let the contents catch fire and the pans take it no bother and with a wipe of kitchen towel they are pressed into use again immediately.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2008, 02:08 PM »
I feel i will have to buy one of these aluminium pans just to put my mind at rest.

i have a cast steel pan (the rajver type mentioned earlier in the post). it performs really well. the heat transfer is instant and heat distribution very uniform. i'm well pleased with it.

i've recently switch my frying technique from "hot" toffee smell to slowboat adding water to the tom puree (following the Oil & Spice Frying trials post). my 2.5kw stove otherwise makes the hot cooking a delicate timing balance to prevent burning.

2 things on my mind:
1) i'm astounded at the Malik webcam frying - i would burn for sure during the frying stage. the evap off of the base is just the same.
2) these aluminium pans are in every asian store i've ever been in. they're also in my local TA

the aluminium has always put me off on health grounds but if needed for a small essential part of cooking to close the 5% gap then why not.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2008, 07:29 PM »
the aluminium has always put me off on health grounds but if needed for a small essential part of cooking to close the 5% gap then why not.

Jerry fear not! Just buy hard anodised aluminium pans, they are completely safe and you don't risk getting, oh what's it called , ummm, ummm, oh you know that brain forgetting thing, ummmm, oh yes alzheimer's.   ;D

Here's a link that domi posted:http://www.pots-and-pans.co.uk/acatalog/Meyer_Anolon_Professional.html

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2008, 09:37 AM »
Well thanks for all the extra help here, I'm going to buy a new pan
BUT.....
I went into a takeaway and bought an old one of theirs anyway
I've seen them use this same pan to cook curries with
It definitely "works" with them
I've attached a picture, I still don't know what it's made of.
I am worried about this aluminium/altzeimers thing, but it seems silly not to use it.
This pan will be one of my most precious belongings, and guess what?
No one would ever steal it!
Note the bashed in side, this is from where chef strikes the spoon as he cooks.
When they've cooked with this pan, nothing burns
The pans I currently use burn near the outside of the base
I guess that's where the flame is directly underneath, coupled with poor heat distribution

Offline Roti

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2008, 02:36 PM »
I've attached a picture, I still don't know what it's made of.

It's aluminium Haldi

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2008, 04:16 PM »
hi guys with my black steel pan rajver boss got me i have never had the problem or fear of burning. i now don't wash it just simply rinse with water then use a paper towel to dry it and when i am drying the rice out in the grill of the oven i leave the pan in to aid with the preheating normally about 100 degrees C but you have to be carefull when you get it out to use as the handle retains heat very well as does the pan. but i have a frying pan which i suspect is ali which picked up at boofair for 50p and that works very well and is more of 1 portion pan,
have just taken a piccy of the four pans i use the nearset on the right is the rajver pan as is the 1 behind it both black steel , back left is a smaller pan 8" an black steel but the handle needs straightening as i find it to high and gets in the way when stirring, the near left pan is the 1 i think is ali. and is easy to clean and does not rust.

regards
gary

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2008, 04:18 PM »
hi omg never put a piccy on b4 so could someone resize it for me?
regards
gary

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2008, 04:58 PM »
Haldi, your collectors item is exactly the same as mine. I wonder if they become tempered over time like woks cheers Panpot

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2008, 09:05 PM »
Parker now thats the a big photo!! i dont mod in this area CK will resize for you.

Haldi its aluminum mate and a antique!! I would Que up at Tower Bridge to view that its pukka!!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2008, 06:52 AM »
oh you know that brain forgetting thing, ummmm, oh yes alzheimer's.

has anyone already got one of these aluminium pans and given it a good belt on the gas stove to test out the burning.

well looking fwd to Haldi's view on using the pukka pan.

i've attached my pan for info. it's well different and probably not pukka for curries. the silver part has come since i adopted the slowboat cooking ie adding water to the tom puree. before that it was black all over having been wok hey'd.

for info on the pics: the width needs to be resized 700 (pixels) and then compressed (for documents seems ok)

©2024 Curry Recipes