Author Topic: Pots and Pans?  (Read 32645 times)

Offline Bob_McBob

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pots and Pans?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 01:25 PM »
My main pan in all its glory:

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 01:37 PM »
Bob, please follow this link

http://www.calphalon.co.uk/cookwareComparison.jhtml.html

I know it is their UK site!

The pots & pans I would prefer are in the left column, because they can withstand high heat and rapid changes of temperature.  I use another US make which is very similar but I fear not as good.  If your question was for me, I will gladly take a piccie on my kitchen gear and post it here if that will help.  As I said before if you are cooking bulk then get yourself a very good quality Stock Pot around 26 pints volume with a guaranteed non-hotspot base.  I have never seen a non-stick version so you will have to get a stainless steel one (NOT Aluminium).

CP

CP

Offline Bob_McBob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 01:41 PM »
If your question was for me, I will gladly take a piccie on my kitchen gear and post it here if that will help.

That would be great!  Thanks for the link, I will have a good look.

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 02:06 PM »
Bob may I suggest you use our nicks if directiing a query to a specific person; it saves everyone jumping in.  I will do the piccies now and put them on the My Pictures thread.

CP

Offline vindaloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 06:49 AM »
... those karais look great!  What do you use them for?  Can I ask where you got them?

Hi Bob,

I bought the black handmade karais from a shop in Leicester (about ?16 each with the stand iirc) I used to use them for cooking but they are no good for bulk cooking obviously!! Their main duty is for serving now. They are good for cooking though and have rounded bottoms. ::)

The copper bottom versions are used just for servimg up. These were ?6 each. They are reasonably heavy for their size. I can get the shop names for you if you are interested.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 07:23 AM by vindaloo »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 08:26 AM »
Do you use any sort of "heat spreading" attachment for simmering on the gas range?  I love cooking with gas, but when it comes to slow cooking beef curries for hours, results are sometimes not good because the small area of the pan covered by the flame.  I think I've seen attachments to spread the heat, sort of like wok rings I suppose.  Anyway, I'm sure it would help if my primary cooking pan was nicer.

CurryCanuck, those karais look great!  What do you use them for?  Can I ask where you got them?
I use a heat diffuser

For pots and pans I have a 32cm and 24cm non stick skk deep frying pans with lids, I have found them superb for sweating onions and doing rice by absorbtion

Offline spliffyaid

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 04:55 PM »
Hey all, first post here :)

I use Le Creuset Pans. They are expensive, however, they are enamelled over cast iron and great for dispersing heat etc and very easy to clean etc. Only downside is the weight, but it does mean my other half cant use them and she aint allowed to use my global knives either  !!  ::)

Just my first two pennies worth  ;D

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 06:00 PM »
Welcome Spliffy.  I used to use Le Creuset and I totally agree.  Unfortunately they are too small for our needs.  Good point though.

CP

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 08:40 PM »
 ;) Bob, Try checking out the pictures in the base sauces {Darth's Base e.c.t. } you'll find a good size pot is anything between 15- 28 ltrs.

Offline xPatx

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Hello, Question for Vindaloo ( Leic )  I'd like to know where you buy your pans from in Leicester if thats Ok ?   Cheers.     Pat

©2024 Curry Recipes