Author Topic: Pots and Pans?  (Read 32647 times)

Offline vindaloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pots and Pans?
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 10:09 PM »
Hi xpatx,

if you are from Leicester, you should know where I am talking about (i'll get the street names for you tomorrow though!)

The main place I go is a place called Falcon. It's a huge warehouse, sells every spice you couls possibly need. Also sells pans, karhai's, tavas etc. I love it there!!My favorite shop!! It's at the back of Sainsbury's by the Melton Road flyover. Dead opposite St. Matthews.

The other place I used to go to is in Highfields, just off East Park Road. It's a corner shop, quite large, but not a lot in it!!! I actually went there last week to see if they had any more of the handmade karhai's ( which they didn't).

I'll take a drive tomorrow and get the street names for you.

Offline xPatx

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 03:13 PM »
Thanks for that Vindaloo, that Falcon shops sounds right up my street. I've have a field day in there ::)

I'd guessed it would be somewhere near Melton Rd area, I drive in Coventry everyday and get my spices and stuff there but your shop sounds like its worth a visit.

Is this the place ?  Falcon Cash & Carry 82a Syston St West  Leicester

Thanks again.     Pat
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:15 PM by xPatx »

Offline vindaloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 05:57 PM »
Hi Pat,

Yes it is on Syton St west!  You are right with it being near melton Road.

enjoy!! ;) ;D

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 02:51 AM »
You can buy the iron karai vindaloo has in 'taj stores' in brick lane, london. I recently got a 12" one for ?9. I have used it once for a thai curry but i can already see that it's gonna be v useful. It holds the heat well.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Analon
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 01:22 PM »
I'm looking towards getting an analon wok to do my curries in. Does anyone have experience with the brand?

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Analon
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2007, 10:55 PM »
I'm looking towards getting an analon wok to do my curries in. Does anyone have experience with the brand?

Hi Bobby

I've just come back from the Xmas shopping rush (as normal I've left the shopping to the last moment).

Couldn't resist it - Sale Price - bought a new curry pan (?66.00 reduced to ?33.00). I've been promising myself one for years, but could never really justify the cost!

I used to use a wok but found the heat wasn't even across the base. Being fairly thin and a small diameter base, and despite being well seasoned, unless the contents were constantly stirred, occasionally things would stick.

This new (26cm) pan is a 3 layer composite of stainless steel/aluminium/stainless steel made by Stellar and part of the James Martin collection. I've just used it (for king prawn Dhansak), and it really is excellent. Even heat distribution (even on very low flame) and no sticking whatsoever.

I'm not sure what the Analon wok is that you're getting or how much it costs - but I would recommend looking at some of the smaller stainless steel thick base frying pans (not nonstick), that are already available in the Xmas sales.

Regards
SnS ;)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2007, 11:08 PM »
I'm very jealous. You and your superior pan and restaurant manner  :P Some guys get all the luck!

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 01:26 PM »
You can buy the iron karai vindaloo has in 'taj stores' in brick lane, london. I recently got a 12" one for ?9. I have used it once for a thai curry but i can already see that it's gonna be v useful. It holds the heat well.
Bangla city supermarket a few doors down has lots of cookware too. They have the same pans a lot of restaurants use. They look like iron and are fairly thin with long handles. They can only cook one portion. They're about 9GBP

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Used 6 Wok burner on ebay
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 05:35 PM »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 06:04 PM »
Don't think I could afford the gas bill  :o

SnS  ;D