Author Topic: how to get a finer ground  (Read 5167 times)

Offline korant

• Chef
    • View Profile
how to get a finer ground
« on: June 20, 2014, 01:25 PM »
I've been doing more with coriander and cumin, and started grinding my own spices.

Is it impossible to get coriander as finely ground as turmeric or garlic powder?

If you want to get all the coarse grounds out is it best to use a fine mesh sieve before cooking?

Maybe I need a better grinder? This one was a standard electric coffee grinder, not cheap but not pricey.

The takeaway place here never has anything  coarse in the palak or other curries.

Also tried dry roasting coriander and maybe burned it a little. I stopped roasting well before there was any aroma but still seems like I burned it, or maybe the fresh ground has a very different smell?

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: how to get a finer ground
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Is it impossible to get coriander as finely ground as turmeric or garlic powder?

No.  Get yourself a burr grinder.

Offline korant

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 04:26 PM »
manual pepper mill, turkish coffee hand grinder or electric burr grinder?

it looks like some of the cheaper electric coffee burr grinders do not produce a fine ground.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 05:13 PM »
I would just buy ground stuff, mate. Unless you are making garam masala, then dry roast and grind  :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:25 PM »
I haven't ground my own spices for a while but I used an attachment to my food processor and it worked really well. I used to roast in a low oven and that way managed to catch the spices before burning.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 08:46 PM »
manual pepper mill, turkish coffee hand grinder or electric burr grinder?

I use a Spong hand grinder and can grind any spice to a fine talc-like powder.
It might take two or three passes, but with a small amount it's not a big deal and takes seconds after the initial grind.

maybe the fresh ground has a very different smell?

Yes!  Completely different to ready ground.
I'll never buy pre ground ever again.   ;)

Offline daveyham

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Hi dalpuri re your spong grinder could I ask what number it is and what spices you grind with it. The reason i ask is I have a number 3 but have not used it to grind spices yet. Thanks.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Any grinder can handle whole Coriander and Cumin, dry roasted or straight out of the packet.
There all different in Aroma, freshly ground is stronger in flavour than pre ground bought packet powders.

Turmeric, Garlic and Ginger powders are ground superfine because they are not seed. a simple difference.

Anyhoo, the next time you use your coffee grinder to grind some whole Coriander seeds,

Have a look at the superfine powder gathered in the lid of the grinder, you couldn't wish for finer powder.
In fact it is that fine it becomes airborne, I found this out when I was grinding Birds Eye chillis for my Phall curries.
I opened the grinder and got a face full of hot chilli dust.
Eyes, Nose and Throat, sneezing all over the place, ouch!,  ::) lesson learnt.

cheers Chewy

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 11:51 AM »
Hi dalpuri re your spong grinder could I ask what number it is and what spices you grind with it. The reason i ask is I have a number 3 but have not used it to grind spices yet. Thanks.

Hi Davey,
I have a no.1 and grind all my whole spices with it. The trickiest one is mustard seed because they contain a lot of oil so it helps to dry them in a low oven before grinding. Another being long pepper.
But mostly I grind straight out of the packet.
Just remember to grind a teaspoon or so of rice when you've finished to keep clean of any odour or leftovers.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:08 PM by DalPuri »

Offline daveyham

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 12:21 PM »

Hi Davey,
I have a no.1 and grind all my whole spices with it. The trickiest one is mustard seed because they contain a lot of oil so it helps to dry them in a low oven before grinding. Another being long pepper.
But mostly I grind straight out of the packet.
Just remember to grind a teaspoon or so of rice when you've finished to keep clean of any odour or leftovers.  ;)

Thank you for the tips. I'll let you know how I get on. Really looking forward to this.

©2024 Curry Recipes