Author Topic: indian curries too watery  (Read 6128 times)

Offline bhuna1

• Chef
    • View Profile
indian curries too watery
« on: June 30, 2014, 07:18 PM »
i've been making the bir curries using recipes from this site and they're the best i've ever done.  so, i've been trying my hand at more trad indian.  using a couple of cookbooks but they just end up being bland and watery.  everything seems to be going ok til it gets to the 'add water' stage.  any tips?

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: indian curries too watery
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 07:34 PM »
A lot of water comes out of the meat or vegetables, you won't need to add much. If the sauce is too watery boil off the water at the end. BIR sauce usually comes up a lot thicker than some traditional stuff, but with a bit of extra cooking you'll be fine.

If it's bland, look at the recipes/ method you're using. I can recommend some from here if you wish. Some people prefer BIR style to traditional but I like mixing them up, some of my favourite on-the-bone recipes are traditional style.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 07:35 PM »
Either don't use water (rarely essential in any significant quantity) or cook (reduce) for much longer. Cheers!

Offline bhuna1

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Yeah, i'm following the recipes exactly.  I can't believe that what i'm ending up with is as it should be as no way is it good enough to be included in a recipes book!  If you do have some trad indian recipes that are worth doing, i'd appreciate the link as i'm thinking of giving up and sticking to BIR where i have much more success.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 08:34 PM »
The recipes in this section herer are mostly great struff, proper trad, and generally don't use water (often required liquid from coconu milk, vinegar etc?)- what ones are you using that do mate?

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:37 PM »
This one's good, basically a traditional curry with video.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11933.msg95164.html#msg95164

Offline vinotinto

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 09:55 PM »
This is a great tasting curry I can recommend

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,5109.0.html

Offline bhuna1

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 03:28 PM »
one is an anjum anand cookbook, the other is just a 'best indian cookbook' both picked up in charity shops.  maybe there's something in that!  i just find it hard to believe that these curries would ever make it into a cookbook as they are very very bland and put me off cooking trad indian.  i went to india last year and the food was amazing.  i'd love to be able to make a curry without having to make base all the time.  will try some of those suggested.  cheers :)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 03:35 PM »
Try some of the street food recipes!

Offline bhuna1

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 07:00 PM »
can you point me in the right direction to street food recipes?

©2024 Curry Recipes