Author Topic: does ginger burn easier than garlic  (Read 8302 times)

Offline korant

• Chef
    • View Profile
does ginger burn easier than garlic
« on: July 03, 2014, 02:38 PM »
I'm out of practice a bit:

The last few ad hoc curries are horrible. The base sauces I used in the past and the newer glasgow are great.

Some people say that burning garlic makes it bitter, but I've made a lot of singapore noodles  scorching the curry powder and garlic in oil and water and that never seemed to be too bitter, actually it tastes very good this way burning the spices.

The last few curry attempts I used a lot of ginger garlic paste and tried to scorch it in the base and it tasted horrible. Then I tried just cooking it regular temp and it tasted terrible again, same as the scorched one. One was made with ginger powder/fresh garlic, one with home made ginger/garlic paste. I'm trying to get more ginger into the mix for health reasons. I'll sometimes do a teaspoon or two of ginger powder in water and it tastes fine, but in the curries it is not working.

I tasted the garlic/ginger paste raw and it's fairly bitter so the culprit is in there somewhere, just not sure if I'm overcooking, undercooking, or some other unknown.

I'm wondering if I have a bad batch or garlic here or something, but it looks fresh.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: does ginger burn easier than garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 03:26 PM »
weroflu

Welcome to the forum. I've given up frying ginger. Who says it's necessary? Some of the best (authentic, non BIR) curries I know, simply add raw, grated ginger to the sauce near the end, so it's just heated up and perhaps simmered in the liquid for 5 minutes. So that's what I now do with all curries.

Beware frying anything until it's golden, let alone as dark as toast. It could be the end of you:

"Watchdog wants new controls on substance that forms when food is roasted, fried or browned"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2678663/Chemical-coffee-chips-crisps-cancer-risk-Watchdog-wants-new-controls-substance-forms-food-roasted-fried-browned.html#ixzz36PpIildm

Offline Dann zack

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 03:43 PM »
Oh, surely this can't be right, (the article). Everyone has been enjoying burnt toast for years. It seems to me that nearly every week there is a new scare story about what is safe to eat and what isn't! Then later the oposite is reported!
Just people trying to justify their overpaid, non productive jobs  i.m.o.
Rant over!  ;) ::)

Dann

Offline Dann zack

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 03:51 PM »
Sorry, forgot to answer the question.  ;D
In my experience if you make gg paste with unpeeled ginger this is more likely to catch/taste bitter than if you peel it first.

Dann

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Not really a great surprise that George quotes/reads the Daily Mail  :P

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 06:29 PM »
I find it hard to believe that there was an article in the Daily Mail about something causing cancer. ;)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Well thats the haggismunchers doomed again with those well fired rolls they like ??????

Whats all that about?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 09:00 PM »
i keep the garlic and ginger separate these days.

i tend to add ginger to base but not fry it. it goes in a few dishes but not many at dish frying.

garlic for me seems to work all ways: in base, dish frying not browned, dish frying (cant say) "burnt" but what the word means in BIR food ie as per Zaal - cook until "the right moment".

in short i'd put money on the ginger causing the problem.

i think phil uses julian strips of ginger and that may well sort the problem c/w using paste (if intending to "burn" so to speak)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 09:28 PM »
i think phil uses julian strips of ginger

I do indeed, but claim no credit for the fact; I am simply replicating what I find in bought (restaurant/TA) curries that I enjoy.
** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 09:59 PM »
Not really a great surprise that George quotes/reads the Daily Mail  :P

It's one of many sources of news and information that I check out, online. The quote is, in effect, from scientists. Are you suggesting that the Daily Mail misrepresented the findings? I certainly won't stop accessing their website just because people like you have a narrow viewpoint.

©2024 Curry Recipes