Author Topic: Cooking Naan Breads  (Read 10165 times)

Offline Roy22

• Chef
    • View Profile
Cooking Naan Breads
« on: October 30, 2006, 10:24 PM »
Not a recipe request, this question's about the cooking step.

Every attempt I've made at Naan breads has ended up like an oversized Pitta bread.  Large, uniformly brown, very nice but nothing like a Restaurant Naan.  A recent attempt with a Pizza stone in a gas oven at max. temperature didn't work either.  And giving it a singeing afterwards with a blowtorch didn't fool anyone.

Be honest now, how many of your attempts have looked remotely like the BIR variety?

I notice one post earlier on, claiming success with an iron pan heated very hot.  Can anyone confirm this or offer any other advice?  Or is the simple answer that if you haven't got a proper Tandoor oven, you'll only ever get a large Pitta bread?

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking Naan Breads
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 11:25 PM »
The trick for baking naan bread on a pizza stone is to pre-heat the oven at max for at least 45 - 60 minutes . ( I use an inverted metal cookie sheet  @ 30 min .) With the dough prep , be sure not to over stretch it . Bake for 5 minutes and grill for 2 .

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 06:32 AM »
I dont think it is possible to make a proper nan at home, given the home setup. The restaurant nans use a much wetter dough than we can use at home. Kris Dhillion is close with her recipe but you really need a tandoor. Tava does a reasonable job if you can get enough heat going. http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=700.0

I used a pizza stone which is heated for a minimum of one hour, combined that with a grill it produces a tasty nan type bread. But it aint gonna win any awards for copycat restaurant nans. After saying that, not all restaurant nans are the same.

Basic tips, adding more sugar will brown your nan quicker.
Strong bread making flour of 12% protein will result in a chewier bread, by adding more oil this will help soften the dough (also without the oil it will be harder to brown the nan)
The use of yoghurt will  make a heavier dough. Flour with a protein of 10% or under will produce a softer bread and will be harder to shape without breaking.

I use a combination of 12% protein and 10% protein (85% / 15%). I use fresh yeast mixed with cold water and leave the dough in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour after mixing.
This is to stop the yeast starting too quickly, allow only one rise. Another good tip is to let your dough rest for 10 minutes after the first 5 minutes of mixing. This helps the dough absorb the water properly.

Hope this helps, Ashes
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 06:34 AM by Ashes »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 07:37 AM »
Hi Roy,

I'm not sure what is acceptable to you, Roy, but here are some photos of naans that I make on a very hot tava (griddle) on a gas burner.

They are not as fluffy as good BIR restaurant naans, but they are pretty soft, supple and moist (though they perhaps don't look like it in the photos) and very tasty nevertheless - especially when brushed with butter ghee (the bottom photo).

For anyone interested, I have posted my recipe and procedure here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1448.0

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 04:12 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 01:27 PM »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 01:42 PM »
My wife does the breads (I am hopeless  ::) ) and she cooks the Naans under the grill and the chapatis directly on the gas ring, and the rotis on a Tawa.  All turn out great - sometimes  :o  (its Ok she's not looking) I think Ashes has got it right  ( :-[ oh heck she was... sore ear now) ;D

CP

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 05:36 PM »

8) 8) The Naan looks the Biz Ashes, but do try sesame oil. Adds a great taste. Possibly some added coriander leaves to the mix as well.

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 06:37 PM »
Sorry spicy i cant take the credit for those im afraid, they are corys :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 06:40 PM »
Bloody hell Ashes!  They aren't that bad are they!  :o

LOL!  ;D

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 07:03 PM »
They look great Cory!!

here is a link i posted ages ago under the weblinks section.
the video shows those bubbley nans in the tandoor  :P

check out the "video" link in the right hand corner.
http://www.motherindia.se

Ashes  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes