Author Topic: UCB Update Please read  (Read 25583 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: UCB Update Please read
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2006, 10:52 PM »

Question.

Can any Spice can act as a flavor enhancer (i don't think its as obvious as it may seem).
As we all know fresh powdered Spices are quite strong/intense & cooking them mellows the Spices even though the carrier (Oil) does help to transport the flavor of any Spice evenly throughout the dish enhancing it again but with a more rounded soft flavor if you get what i mean.

I'm also inclined to think that the spices say for a Take-away/Bir style dish are cooked for very little time on high heat for a good reason, even though it was probably found out by either mistake or cutting cost via cooking time many years ago.

Are we slowly coming to the same end & slowly just getting there with our constant going over old ground here at cr0?

As with many things its down to personal perception is it not, as we change does our perception, hence going over old ground isn't such a bad idea. ;)

I'm not sure but i don't think we have ever discussed this theory that quick cooked spices can act as a flavor enhancer in themselves (they ad flavor obviously, but can they act as an actual flavor enhancer, new twist?) :-\
Thanks CP & Ashes for your inspiration  ;).

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2006, 11:21 PM »
Against all my pronouncements previously I have to interject; you s*ds :o  You have set this up to drag me in.  So a quick burst and then I am out again:  Garlic and Ginger powder were the staple ingredients for the hot dishes in BIRs, and if you do a search you will find they appear in many traditional curries. also  I think I have posted some points on this before.  On the other point, I was originally going to post some stuff on cooking fresh Garlic Onions etcetera., because as mentioned these two ingredients react and change quite radically according to the way you cook them; as any BIR.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2006, 11:36 PM »
How does the fresh Garlic Onion thing work then CP?

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2006, 11:43 PM »
Bog off I am not coming back!

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2006, 08:03 AM »
i have also read that the day after eating a curry some people get very dehydrated 
I always put this down to the copious amounts of salt and MSG in the BIR curries

Offline currygit

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2006, 02:55 PM »
When I have asked BIRs about MSG they always deny they use it.  Apparently it is now illegal to use it if they don't state it on the menu.  Salt!  Wow do they use it!!!

Currygit

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2006, 10:45 AM »
CP can you repost the updated UCB recipe please as the quantity of ingredients are not clear (for the size of pot).

Also, I assume the whole spices are removed at some point before blending ? When ?

One final thing on the tomato base. You use half a pint of ghee and only 4 chef spoons of tomato puree. This sounds like too much ghee - can you double check please. And do you think we could use oil instead ? (slighly better for you)

thanks.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2006, 11:05 AM »
Bear in mind chefs spoons are huge. I would guess at least 3 TBSP

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2006, 11:46 AM »
CP can you repost the updated UCB recipe please as the quantity of ingredients are not clear (for the size of pot).

Also, I assume the whole spices are removed at some point before blending ? When ?

One final thing on the tomato base. You use half a pint of ghee and only 4 chef spoons of tomato puree. This sounds like too much ghee - can you double check please. And do you think we could use oil instead ? (slighly better for you)

thanks.

Yes I am going to rewite the whole thing in light of Mark's recent additions.  How about if I take the following approach as a complete process.

Making the base and I will add some photo's of the base product and measuring spoons etc.
Then make the Tomato base doing the same as above, (and yes it does have loads of oil, and yes you can just use the oil)
Make a Vindaloo (to keep the heat junkies happy  :D ) from start to finish using the same approach as above again.

Hopefully you will then be able to get a better idea of the process from start to finish; and also the measurements.

This approach and your feedback would also help me and Mark with composing the video.  Let me have your comments and I will get to work on it.  By the way, this issue on ladles and spoons; Mark has given me the correct ladle size for his curries now, so that should clear some issues up.

I am a bit bizzy at the moment making up batches of different curries for the biz (as well as DIY jobs in the house!!!)  So I shall try and get round to this next week.

May I say my huge thanks for the support from many of you. Its good to be back.  Hopefully we can now all chill out and get on with the mission (beam me up Scotty I have the dilythium crystals)

Trust in the trip and chill out  8), and of course Happy Cooking!   ;D
CP

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2006, 12:29 PM »
Perfect CP. cheers.

©2024 Curry Recipes