Author Topic: Shimla spice, Shipley  (Read 6918 times)

Offline hedgerwallace

• Chef
    • View Profile
Shimla spice, Shipley
« on: July 18, 2014, 12:28 PM »
Well to start with I would not say that this was a really bad restaurant, but it was certainly not very good, this was our 2nd try at a Yorkshire curry previously being used to the curry houses in and around Hitchin.
As it was voted the best Indian restaurant in England we thought we would give it a go.
I ordered, as I always do, onion bhaji for my starter, what came was like no other bhaji I have ever had, it more akin to an onion ring with no spice or any flavour whatsoever, very bland indeed.
 I can't remember what I had as my main, but it was pretty forgettable, my wife however ordered her usual, chicken tikka masala, once again, this was like no other tikka dish she had ever had, all it tasted of was cumin, and when the Indian waiter asked her if it was ok, she told him all she could taste was cumin, to which he replied, "What's that" to which she replied "An Indian spice", he then asked us if we would be coming back to dine another time, we of course said no!!

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Shimla spice, Shipley
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 12:48 PM »
the Indian waiter asked her if it was ok, she told him all she could taste was cumin, to which he replied, "What's that" to which she replied "An Indian spice",

Maybe if your wife had said "Jeera" instead of "cumin", he may well have understood better,
Having said that, there is no excuse for poor quality food, they charge enough for it. ;)

Les

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 01:22 PM »
the Indian waiter asked her if it was ok, she told him all she could taste was cumin, to which he replied, "What's that" to which she replied "An Indian spice",

Maybe if your wife had said "Jeera" instead of "cumin", he may well have understood better,
Having said that, there is no excuse for poor quality food, they charge enough for it. ;)

Les

Maybe she should have spoke Northern ;) :D

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 01:32 PM »

Like CT ;D

Les

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 03:09 PM »

Like CT ;D

Les

Now now Les, don't get us eloquent speakers of queens English that are up the 'pro-pare' north of england mixed up with the Yorkshire pudding brigade. Chicken 'T'eeeka with nowt taken owt any one?

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Now now Les, don't get us eloquent speakers of queens English that are up the 'pro-pare' north of england mixed up with the Yorkshire pudding brigade. Chicken 'T'eeeka with nowt taken owt any one?

I would never do that Gav, Being a northerner myself. ;D I have heard that Yorkshire is actually a county in England somewhere. ;) 

Les

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 04:40 PM »
The Shimla Spice advertises itself as offering 'authentic Kashmiri cuisine'. Maybe different from what your local TA offers?

If it was the best Indian restaurant in Englandshire, then maybe they just like to do things a little different, as top restaurants in other genres like to do. If I order mince 'n' tatties in a Michel Roux restaurant, I imagine it will be slightly different from my own (probably have foam and smoke or something)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 04:54 PM »
Yep! And served up by Mr. Joseph Ronce Esq. :p lol

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 05:13 PM »
Sorry DO, I have no idea who he is or what the inference is :-*

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 09:25 PM »
Hey Hedgerwallace. Think you'll find from the restaurant's perspective the "best restaurant" award is simply part of the marketing spend (and clearly one that works - you went and spent money as a result). Maybe worth considering what the business model of the awarding body is, ie from where is their income obtained? And after that brief reflection maybe you'll think twice before visiting a restaurant because it is "award winning" in future?  Exceptions to this policy can of course be made for recognised legitimate awards such as Michelin stars, etc..! 

©2024 Curry Recipes