Author Topic: khan's restaurant, Bayswater, London  (Read 9738 times)

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: khan's restaurant, Bayswater, London
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 08:15 PM »
I've no idea Phil, I was long gone by that time.

When I was in at around half six there were about 7 tables occupied, which isn't much in such a large dining area as they have. Now as I mentioned I only ordered small because I already had a pub lunch today, but what did order didn't impress me much. The rice was nice enough actually, very good separate grains and well flavoured, but no taste of the promised chicken stock, so this must be a subtle addition. The meat madras had a distinctly tomato soup flavour to it which didn't sit well with me. The meat was beautifully tender and the heat level was right, just a very red and slightly sweet curry which didnt ring my bells.

I'll go back another day and give them another chance.

I don't need or want waiters fawning over me, and the service was fast enough, but I have to say there was no friendliness or personality on display and the guy who brought the food didn't say a word or make eye contact. Maybe this is related to the fact the bill arrived with 10% service charge auto-added so clearly they don't feel a need to work hard for tips! 

But like I said, it's no skin of my nose and I don't need the waiter to do a tap dance while I eat, for me it's about the food and today was a 5/10 could do better.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 08:26 PM »
Hmmm.  I have been there once or twice, in the dim and distant past, but although it was very highly recommended at the time I didn't feel that it was exceptional.  Unfortunately I no longer have any recollections of the service, so on that aspect I cannot comment at all.

** Phil.

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 06:32 PM »
I find myself back in Khans tonight. Chicken chaat starter already down my neck and that was quite pleasant. Chicken dhansak, Bombay aloo, pliau and naan incoming.

Service still as hostile as ever!!

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 07:04 PM »
No tap-dancing waiters yet Donald? ;)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 10:01 PM »
Chicken chaat starter already down my neck and that was quite pleasant.
Can you describe the chicken chat please, Donald, and in particular (a) was it served hot or cold; (b) was it served with cucumber; and (c) did it in any way at all resemble tandoori chicken or chicken tikka ?  And slightly more subjectively, were you able to distinguish tamarind among the flavours ?

** Phil.

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Well the Bombay aloo had a good flavour to it but the dhansak really wasn't good, and portion sizes were small. The rice was fine but the naan had been stretched so thin before cooking that it was dry and flaky and just not good at all. Everything about the food screamed death by a thousand cuts, as the naan had clearly had gram after gram shaved off the doughball and was still stretched large for appearances sake. The bombay aloo inexplicably had random sweet corn kernels clinging to the potato chunks (doubtless the spuds were pre cooked with other veg then fished out). The dhansak was a small portion by anyone's standards.

Service is, as mentioned, woeful to the point of open hostility. I've done nothing to these people. Only a restaurant which automatically adds 10% service to the bill and doesn't rely on customer goodwill for tipping could have such charisma free, distant waiters.

Overall I'll give it 3/10 on this visit. I returned thinking last time was an aberration. It wasn't. This place just doesn't try hard enough.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 09:09 PM by Donald Brasco »

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Chicken chaat starter already down my neck and that was quite pleasant.
Can you describe the chicken chat please, Donald, and in particular (a) was it served hot or cold; (b) was it served with cucumber; and (c) did it in any way at all resemble tandoori chicken or chicken tikka ?  And slightly more subjectively, were you able to distinguish tamarind among the flavours ?

** Phil.

No.

©2024 Curry Recipes