Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 310555 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 08:29 AM »
Cheers Jb, really excited about making this base, hopefully I will be able to get in the kitchen tonight.
Great result Haldi, I'm so pleased you got the desired flavour you was after.
 My little experiment of adding the garlic tarka to the base I already had produced a far superior base, it took it up a level.
 I shall report back after I get to make it

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 08:41 AM »
It's sounding promising guys,I'm glad I've helped let's hope this really is the answer.As regards to rinsing the garlic pan,I think it may have some importance.The pan was still quite hot when the contents were originally tipped out and when he rinsed the pan there was an almighty sizzle and he immeditely put this back in the curry pan.

I'm guessing you can make a madras that way Haldi,however the chef told me that he makes his own chilli sauce that he adds to madras/vindaloo/phal etc.It was on the side next to the stove in a tub.Next time I go in there I'll get a demo as well as asking about his home made balti paste.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 08:46 AM »
As regards to rinsing the garlic pan,I think it may have some importance.The pan was still quite hot when the contents were originally tipped out and when he rinsed the pan there was an almighty sizzle and he immeditely put this back in the curry pan.

the chef told me that he makes his own chilli sauce that he adds to madras/vindaloo/phal etc.It was on the side next to the stove in a tub.
Jb thats exactly what happened when I rinsed the garlic pan , the sizzle, giving a wonderful aroma.

The chilli sauce-was it green and look like blended chillis or did it look like it contained any spicing?

And finally What was the garlic/ginger ratio for the base?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:58 AM by madrasandy »

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 08:58 AM »
As regards to rinsing the garlic pan,I think it may have some importance.The pan was still quite hot when the contents were originally tipped out and when he rinsed the pan there was an almighty sizzle and he immeditely put this back in the curry pan.

the chef told me that he makes his own chilli sauce that he adds to madras/vindaloo/phal etc.It was on the side next to the stove in a tub.
Jb thats exactly what happened when I rinsed the garlic pan , the sizzle, giving a wonderful aroma.

The chilli sauce-was it green and look like blended chillis or did it look like it contained any spicing?

Yep the sizzle gives off a lovely aroma.The chilli sauce was red,not green.No idea what went in it,apart from fresh red chilli.Don't worry as soon as I find out all will be revealed.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 09:08 AM »
Apart from the garlic tarka and onion cooking time,the Manager told me it's SO important than the base is re-cooked for some time after it's been originally blended /thinned and the garlic added.He said the base couldn't be used if this wasn't done,it wouldn't taste right.When I originally approached him about lessons and gravy in particular,he said they cook their base twice and I wondered what he was talking about,so it's something they definetely do.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Cheers Jb , interesting about the chilli sauce been red, they only sell green chillis in my Indian shop, wonder what type of chilli they use.

In the base am I reading right that turmeric and tomato are added at the first stage(2 hours cook) and the second stage(1/2 hour cook) also?

Sorry I updated my last message at same time as you posted so you may have missed the question, what was the garlic/ginger ratio?

I have had better results from re-cooking a base, I normally de-frost then re-cook for about an hour and the flavour definitely improves, wonder how long it could be re-cooked for before it hasnt improved anymore?

littlechilie

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2014, 09:26 AM »
Very positive feed back coming along on this topic jb :)
I have find adding a Tarka improves with time in a precook, by freezing or being kept on a stove top, would you agree with this jb ?
When I add a garlic Tarka or Sizzle to Tarka dal it is not so evident at the time, but after I defrost a portion it is wonderful and deep in the rich garlic flavour and aroma.
I am assuming this will be the same process happening here, Also very much looking forwards to making this on my next base gravy day.

Still LOL at the Goldilocks Moment Noble Ox  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2014, 11:57 AM »
Maybe we should have listened to Bruce Edwards.

THE TARKA
A tarka is simply something that is fried and added to something else. It is usual for a tarka of tomato puree to be added to curry gravy, which is watered down at the same time. Some restaurants seem to water heavily, resulting in thin sauces. I find that 1 part of water to 3 parts of curry gravy gives good results. If you have made 4 litres, put 1 litre aside (you could freeze it for future use) and the remaining 3 litres in another vessel. Heat a minimum of a quarter of a pint of oil in the cooking pot. Add a level tablespoon of tomato puree, stirring until it has completely broken up and the oil is red. Now add the 3 litres of curry gravy and 1 litre of hot water. Stir well, bring to the boil and simmer until oil begins to rise to the surface. The sauce will turn a slightly darker colour. Don't keep stirring at this stage. the oil wont separate if you do. Use at once, or remove from the cooker and stand in cold water.
Once cool, it will keep in the fridge for about a week. The tarka isn?t essential, but it does improve the flavour and appearance of a curry. More oil than the quarter pint I have specified will make the curry gravy look more attractive, but serves no other useful purpose.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2014, 12:00 PM »
jb what oil are they using for the garklic tarka fry?

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2014, 12:40 PM »
It was just a Chef's spoon of ginger/garlic added initially.You are correct turmeric and tomatoes were added twice.There was a reason for this(I asked the Manager) but for the life of me I can't remember what he said,I'll ask next time.He used plain veg oil for the garlic.It must be cooked properly though,brown but not burnt.My gravy did look different to che Chef's one,more oily on top.He did say mine could be used straight away,but if mine was left for long enough on a stove top it would improve and the oil would rise.

I must have asked him about half a dozen times whether this really was the way the gravy was cooked in the take-away.He was adamant it was I truly beleived him,and the result seemed to confirm this.He seemed so keen to pass on his knowledge it was unbelievable.Can't wait to get back.

©2024 Curry Recipes