Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 312227 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2014, 10:21 PM »
OK I just tried this with some base I already had. Fried the finely chopped garlic until well browned but definitely not burnt, added to the now watered down base and boiled away until a good bit of oil had collected on the surface.

Made a madras as that's where I can most easily tell if there's any benefit from a particular change. So for me (and remember this is with my base, not jb's) it wasn't a Eureka moment. Yes it adds a smokey, garlicky flavour (well what else would it do!) and I will definitely be using it as I think it adds positively to the overall flavour but it isn't the flavour that's missing for me.

And I added a whole clove to a single portion of base...I struggle to see how the small amount suggested would have any effect?

Hopefully when I get around to making the proper base there will be a more marked or different effect but based on this test I'm not too hopeful.

Is the base meant to be blended again after adding the garlic tarka?

No not meant to be blended again,the garlic should be quite fine,I'm just wondering what base you used?? Did your base involve literally boiling the onions hard until they've basically melted? They have to be cooked for at least two hours on a high heat,spices added,cooked again on a low heat,garlic added and then cooked again.The chef obviously does these for a reason or he would just throw the lot in at the start.

The onions were medium sized white ones,all in big sacks like you see in the asian shops.I chopped them myself,they weren't that strong to be honest.I can't see any BIR chasing around finding expensive onions,I think cheaper the better as far as they are concerned.

littlechilie

« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2014, 12:08 AM »

Getting the onions to a liquid state is the way forward

Couldn't agree more, boiled on high heat in a BIR for two hours = boiled on high heat for longer at home until milky and melted  :)

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2014, 06:36 AM »
Why would you have to boil for longer at home than the takeaway does? Boiling is boiling isn't it, wherever it happens

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2014, 08:01 AM »
Haldi did you add spices etc in chef spoon amounts or in tablespoon amounts as chef spoons do differ, was they level, rounded or heaped?
I take a chef spoon as 4 level desert spoons

Really glad that Noble Ox got a good result too

Can't wait to try a curry with this, but I've got to

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2014, 08:16 AM »

Couldn't agree more, boiled on high heat in a BIR for two hours = boiled on high heat for longer at home until milky and melted  :)

Good to see some of you are getting to " know your onions" ;)

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Brilliant to see a breakthrough into the final 5% at last and am chuffed to bits for haldi and noble ox. Do we yet have a measurement for the mixed powder amount in a final curry as I've made curries with differing amounts depending on whose base it is.

Top thread jb, gonna have to have a crack at this when I'm back in blighty, but for now the sunbed beckons lol!

W

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2014, 01:45 PM »
Base on the go as I speak, been boiling for 1/2 hour and is smelling good, very good  ;D

Offline Wickerman

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2014, 02:19 PM »
Base on the go as I speak, been boiling for 1/2 hour and is smelling good, very good  ;D
h
I can smell them from here, Andy
I shall be dusting of my apron and giving this a go this weekend.
The best of luck to all

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2014, 03:26 PM »
NOTE - When scaling down a recipe please remember to always scale down all ingredients accordingly, DO NOT half onions, peppers ,carrot, tomatoes and not half the turmeric and salt, otherwise when tasting during the first stage you will realize you have dropped an almighty bollock and have to bin the entire contains of the pot and start again from scratch, Thankyou.  :'(

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2014, 04:47 PM »
I feel for you mate, my mistakes are usually Teaspoon Tablespoon related.

©2024 Curry Recipes