Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 312311 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2014, 05:08 PM »
Cheers London, schoolboy error pure and simple, I'll tempt fate again-first stage nearly complete, sweetening up nicely, aromas are very nice, and it doesn't taste like I used water from the North Sea! Bonus
 Looking forward to 2nd stage and the garlic tarka addition

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2014, 05:58 PM »
At least the ingredients are cheap, it not like you ballsed up a rib of beef or something expensive. Good luck with the second batch. I'll be trying this base when I've used up my current one.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Oh I'm not sure on that, those onions cost me

Offline Nick D

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Made this base yesterday thought it was very good, excellent sweetness from the onions and a great texture.
I tarkered a diced a clove of garlic and may have over cooked slightly found the flavour was a bit  dominant  in the finished base.
Not quite the missing % that I have been chasing for many years now but still a fine gravy.
Interesting idea tarkering garlic for the gravy, I have always tarkered garlic and ginger paste.
Will try finely chopped ginger as well as garlic next time.

Thanks JB for posting this.

littlechilie

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Hi MA also looking forwards to your impute on the 2nd attempt  :P
the reviews are stacking up !
I'm so torn between starting on a new base as I have the one I'm using down to a fine flavour, but I know I'm going to give in and make it ;)

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Yep LC thats how I feel about the base I've been using, but as I have just run out it was time to make a new batch. Just make a half batch and if you don't like it , no real loss.
I must say this is looking, tasting, smelling very promising indeed. Just the blend then garlic tarka and re-cook to do, then leave it to sit while I pop out for a while, and give it a proper taste later

littlechilie

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Why would you have to boil for longer at home than the takeaway does? Boiling is boiling isn't it, wherever it happens

Donald B
Unfortunately you need to take into account the difference in heat output and then consider the internal temperature inside a large BIR pot of base gravy, also calculate the difference in times as there base would continue cooking even without heat. ;)

littlechilie

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Is it going to be a Madras test curry MA? Think this is my standard testing curry of choice followed by a korma, if they both pass then it's a another keeper :)
I'm not a sweet curry fan but still appreciate the flavour of a BIR korma, also the need to keep the Wife Happy  :P

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Any pics yet guys? Would like to see the base and a resulting curry pictures.

Stew

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Yes LC it will be a Madras, or then again a vindaloo! But not tonight, time got the better of me so the base is been left overnight unblended and no garlic tarka added. It shall be continued tomorrow morning, fingers crossed it should still taste great.

Stew I will take base pictures tomorrow, unblended, blended and garlic tarka added

©2024 Curry Recipes