Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 313123 times)

Offline ckchao

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Why I migrate the JB base topic in here is because c2g of which Julian did mention: please don't burn your garlic. For me as a Taiwanese Chinese, we eat lots of garlic. If in one hand u want that oil to fry the garlic to compound that garlic into the oil, the chance is quite little to maximize to achieving true Bir unami. Because I believe the part of secret is from oil that combine sugary taste from onions gravy and masala oil. I prefer you try pete's onion paste first, plus chewytikka's 3hr base for the clear shin by dumping onion paste to cook your gravy. Jerry_M once said the oil helps soften and sweeten the onions. If black garlic can be provided to that extra. Otherwise I really don't know everyone has different Bir taste in mind. If u don't like onion paste in gravy, why not just use lots of oil to cook out lots of onions. Claiming out the oil and put water to melt the onions and dilute the onion thickness. In this way, I believe the Indian masala flavor can be achieved with frying pan without long wasting time to caramelize onions. U know too much carbon from caramelize onions is no good for your body!   

Gee, u guys are new Bir revolution in here.
Thank you all educate me for Bir curry.
Kai

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2014, 09:22 PM »
Hi Jb I am cooking for 20 people on Friday afternoon so I have decided to take a calculated risk and use your base, it's now on the boil on high heat for two hours maybe a little more.
I shall be serving mild Madras , Mushroom fried rice and Tarka Dal.
Followed later in the afternoon with a selection of home made pickles, tandoor chicken , indian salads and Naan breads, washed down with a selection of extremely cold beers :)
I'm extremely great-full for your recipe and will fill you in on my results and comments.
Many thanks.

Oh gawd,I hope I don't let you down...all the best!!

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2014, 10:10 PM »
Your base wont let lc down jb, just got in tonight and had a taste of a portion of your base (even though I made a scaled down version, naughty me) I have kept in the fridge, it tastes wonderful, cant wait to make a curry tomorrow night, cheers again  :)

littlechilie

« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Ok Jb here is my results, I found the base very easy to put together and was a little unsure about the veg ingredients being cooked together. 
I proceeded as instructions and also needed to add water many times during the first stage of cooking but I left my lid half of to reduce.
After 2 hours it was clear to me the base was a long way from cooked so I added the spice and toms the cooked hard for another hour.
I remember u saying times u were not 100% on time, after 3 hours I could smell the base was cooked and it smelt wonderful.
At this point I blended still on the heat then simmered 30 mins while I added your sizzle, to be honest I wasn't sure it needed this as my flavour was already there after 3 hours hard boil.
I have now simmered for another hour so total cooking time is over 4 hours for me, the sizzle flavour has blended in well and is now undetectable..

My opinion is purely of the base flavour as my sense of smell is shot after the cooking, my wife just asked me what's cooking as it's making her hungry !! This is indeed very good news!

The taste is sweet and Unami it's there alright ;0) I know as u do this is from the proper cooking of the onions, it's a Wonderful flavour and  I could sit down and tuck in to a big bowl of this base.

Photo1
before blending after 3 hours of cooking!

Photo2
finished base not yet diluted, I have no concerns about using this to cook with on Friday and will post more then.

My camera is a bit saturated but the colour is a nice light orange.
Many thanks.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:28 PM by littlechilie »

littlechilie

« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2014, 10:18 PM »
Just missed your post MA, well I think scaled or full recipe if it's cooked correctly I feel that is what's important for the flavour.
If the taste is there it's a done deal  ;)
Curry On

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2014, 10:21 PM »
Your base wont let lc down jb, just got in tonight and had a taste of a portion of your base (even though I made a scaled down version, naughty me) I have kept in the fridge, it tastes wonderful, cant wait to make a curry tomorrow night, cheers again  :)
What are you making, a madras by any chance, looking forward to the result.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2014, 10:24 PM »
looks good lc, havent had the chance today to upload my photos or cook a madras.

Offline ckchao

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2014, 12:03 AM »
looking good! little chille! where is the garlic tarka? till Friday?

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2014, 08:16 AM »
Its pleasing to see some good results with this base :D
just for my inventiveness and amusement I portioned up some of this base and made a tarka with smoked garlic 3 cloves for my vindaloos and wow vindaloo heaven what a taste
Is this the smokeyness Birs use? I don't know

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2014, 08:40 AM »
Morning noble ox, great to hear of all the positives coming from this base , would you say it's your best vindaloo?

©2024 Curry Recipes