Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 310558 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2014, 08:47 AM »
Jerry_M once said the oil helps soften and sweeten the onions.

impressive memory or searching.

quite ironic for me too. still work in progress but the basic basic base work i'm on with "no water" is producing much stronger oil. it's a step on from the original onion boiling trials.

the key thing is that the jb information is opening members eye's ie they are realising that this BIR is not just recipe following.

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2014, 09:21 AM »
Hi Jb

I usually make a base with about 750 grams of onions due to space, so if I scale it down to that volume do I really only use a 1/4 of a clove of garlic for the tarka?

Cheers Ed

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2014, 09:28 AM »
Hi Ed I scaled down to 1.5kg and for the garlic tarka I used a medium size clove, as opposed to the largest cloves in the bulb, it worked wonderfully well.
 I think it will be worth experimenting on just how much garlic can be used in the tarka. It all comes down to personal taste really. I added a tarka using a small garlic clove in 400ml of base and it tasted great and produced a fantastic curry. I havent made a curry as of yet with the 1.5kg so dont know how the tarka holds up in that one.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Hi MA
 A huge step to the top of the ladder now my default vindy
Its difficult to judge a base on its own but when used in a curry it" goes for gold"

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2014, 11:51 AM »
Mr ox
Couldn't agree more, the proof will be in the cooking of the curry tonight, but the aroma and taste of this base is as close as I've got to the restaurant base I get.
What is your current vindaloo recipe?

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Hi MA, thanks for that I'll probably use 1/2 a medium clove then?

Ed

Offline BobinSpain

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2014, 02:42 PM »
As someone new to this forum, I've read all of this thread with great interest.

Although I've only just made a batch of a different base (I haven't even cooked a curry with it yet  :P ! ) my enthusiasm has got the better of me and I currently have a full batch of this base boiling furiously on the hob  ;D

Excluding KD and Curry Club bases I made years ago, this will only be my fourth base.

Having now lived in Spain for 7 years the BIR smell is only in my mind. There is an Indian Restaurant here so I, sad git that I am  ::) , walked by it the  other day just so I could cop a waft from the kitchen!
Although the place was open there was virtually no smell at all emanating from the place. There was a British couple seated outside, each of them had a distinctly runny looking curry and they were sharing a naan bread that looked more like a "thin & crispy" pizza base.
Don't think I'll be asking the owner for a sample of their base gravy  ???

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2014, 02:52 PM »
Hi MA ;D
At the moment I been playing with your recipe instead of adding lemon juice I use 1/2 a cooking apple skinned it soon pulps down and gets a sweetish tangy taste try it

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2014, 03:16 PM »
Hi MA ;D
At the moment I been playing with your recipe instead of adding lemon juice I use 1/2 a cooking apple skinned it soon pulps down and gets a sweetish tangy taste try it

Never thought of trying that one mr ox, on my todo list, shame I can't get to any shops in time for tonight's curry though. Might have a try with lime again instead

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2014, 04:02 PM »
There's something decidedly wrong with you guy's tastes if you think a single tarka'd clove of garlic can have such a profound effect on a 3kg base as you appear to be claiming - you're all barking (or super tasters)!  ;D

I used a single clove in a single portion of base and that gave a noticeable smokey garlic flavour to the base but even that virtually disappeared once blended and cooked into the curry. Something very amiss here and I'm not having it that it's just me!  :o  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes