Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 312333 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2014, 04:18 PM »
Lol @ SS  ;D

Offline ziggycat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2014, 04:27 PM »
There's something decidedly wrong with you guy's tastes if you think a single tarka'd clove of garlic can have such a profound effect on a 3kg base as you appear to be claiming - you're all barking (or super tasters)!  ;D

I used a single clove in a single portion of base and that gave a noticeable smokey garlic flavour to the base but even that virtually disappeared once blended and cooked into the curry. Something very amiss here and I'm not having it that it's just me!  :o  ;D

Offline dc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2014, 05:09 PM »
There's something decidedly wrong with you guy's tastes if you think a single tarka'd clove of garlic can have such a profound effect on a 3kg base as you appear to be claiming - you're all barking (or super tasters)!  ;D

I used a single clove in a single portion of base and that gave a noticeable smokey garlic flavour to the base but even that virtually disappeared once blended and cooked into the curry. Something very amiss here and I'm not having it that it's just me!  :o  ;D

Must be the curry base equivalent of homeopathy ;D

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2014, 05:51 PM »
SS

Not just a 3kg base but a base cooked as it should be cooked SS try it for yourself rather than experiment with UFOs( Unidentified fried objects) follow jbs recipe as written down in this thread
then you can make a proper judgement rather than poo poo it :D :D :D
You may be surprised ;D

Offline ckchao

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2014, 06:49 PM »
Where were those Jedi gone? left we little chilies here! JB base is really good! I want see everyone's garlic tarka photos. Where is h4ppy Chris? Phil? Cory? Haldi is here but silent! Not bad! JB is very open heart for your thought. Hey, We are the No.1 Bir curry club here on this planet. Hey I might be foreign to u but u are not foreign to me. Make your judgement call for this base!
Kai

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2014, 07:07 PM »
It's no good us falling out on this base

For a start if it's good or bad the read is 10 for entertainment.

When you've made a few base you will realise there is a threshold and the remaining steps have a far bigger impact.

This base does look good. I should analyse it but I've been taken in by the new Dawn before. 

Does the garlic make a difference. It clearly depends on how dark you get it and how much is used. Is it a game changer then it's a no.

If you feel it is then great. The importance is to be very greatful for jb's efforts.

He and emin-j have suffered more than most. 

I am quite excited. There is a good chance that we can learn as more info comes to hand.

The key for me is that I members blinkers coming off and what would be normally poo poo'd  is being given a work out.

That information and experience can only bode well.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2014, 07:13 PM »

It's the base coupled with the tarka
Follow the complete recipe
The only tricky part is when frying the garlic
Get it to a nut brown colour then pour it immediatelyinto your base
Then quickly wash out the pan with some of your curry gravy and put that back into the main pot
Boil the whole thing again

Seriously, this is amazing
I have tried hundreds of base recipes and had loads of demos
Nothing has ever come close to this result

For me the end result is 100% bir gravy

Just a thought
Have you ever had a sample gravy from a takeaway/restaurant?
Maybe you don't know what it should taste like
It also could be a regional thing
Where are you from?
Or maybe you overcooked the garlic

I don't want to rush into any old recipes with this
I shall wait for JB's madras recipe when he can get it
Or try his basic curry
I can't believe I have actually managed to do this
I know it's silly but I've been on an "up" all week because of it

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Haldi
I reckon SS  is just having a wind up or trying :D
Still the best base when cooked properly and no E-books to rip you off ;D

Offline ckchao

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Jerry_M once said the oil helps soften and sweeten the onions.

impressive memory or searching.

quite ironic for me too. still work in progress but the basic basic base work i'm on with "no water" is producing much stronger oil.

Hi JerryM
stronger oil is good for rest of cooking after base reclaiming. Don't you think sweet onion base gravy is not our goal here for most of curry fan? Stronger oil produces the aroma by emusifying with onion and water not what we want in the base? If oil is plain how can we later on utilize browning reaction to pan fry that onion sugar. Strongly flavoured oil is absolute essential for Chinese restaurent stir fry. I have never eaten a  naturally sweeten cuury by water but I have good restaurent experience by oily sweeten onion gravy. Cheer up for curry!
Kai

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2014, 07:33 PM »
Where were those Jedi gone? left we little chilies here! JB base is really good! I want see everyone's garlic tarka photos. Where is h4ppy Chris? Phil? Cory? Haldi is here but silent!

Phil is here.  He was in Germany (Bolsehle) last weekend, and prior to that, Abu Dhabi, China, Tibet and Nepal.  This latest development looks very interesting, and I shall most certainly be trying it, but before that I have some left-overs (lamb shank, chicken leg, beef) from the Raja of Kent (Tenterden) to eat up, and I also want to make some inroads into Camellia Panjabi's "50 Great Curries of India", just in case I am lucky enough that she really does give me an Indian cookery lesson following our chance meeting recently. 

H4C is banned (but I think we should start a petition for his re-instatement), CA is despot of his own forum (from which a large number of members of this forum are banned); and for myself, where (I wonder) are Bob ("976bar"), Ray ("Razor") and Malc ("Axe") ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:56 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

©2024 Curry Recipes